• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Hi Richard
Dragonera's definitely worth it as migration will be in full swing by then and many small paserines funnel through there. There's a small ferry that runs from the town of San Telmo when the weather's OK. If I remember correctly it cost around 10euros and does a couple of trips in the morning with the last return from the island at 3pm. On the island the best birding is in the orchard just up from the the port. Also a walk along to either of the lighthouses.

Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Common Scoter still at Porto Colom this morning. Thanks for the info. on Dragonera, always worth a visit and as Steve says, migration will be in full swing.

Hi Mike,
Good to see the Common Scoter's still around, I might get over to see it. I do know a couple of big-yearer's have tried and dipped in the last few days

Hello at last

Hi- my name is Hugh Matthews and I have only just discovered this site despite having been to Mallorca every year but one since 2000. I got the new Dave Gosney book and DVD for Christmas and found out about this forum. We go to Mallorca for the school Easter holidays each year, due to my two boys aged 14 and 12, and so I have never been there at the absolute optimum time of late April- early May, but it has always been most enjoyable birding, and my list has got to 162 species so far, despite not being able to bird all the time. We always stay at the Pollensa Park, and only have a car for three days each fortnight, so we tend to be Port de Pollenca bound most of the time, but the bus can get us to Albufereta, Albufera and the excellent Son Real (by walking south from C'an Picafort along the beach). One of my specialities is walking around, after the kids have gone to bed in the hotel,in the completely safe areas around the Hotel seeking out where the Scops Owls are each year, and that is how the present "reliable" ones in the back of the Pollentia Hotel were discovered in 2010. I have also had lots of flyovers at night- Common Sandpipers, Night Herons and Stone Curlews being the most frequent, and I once tracked down some Stone Curlews calling from the beach near the Galeon at the beginning of the Llenaire Road. This year we will be at the PP Hotel from 29 March to 12th April and would be pleased to meet any other resident or visiting birders. I am old enough to remember the meetings hosted by the late David Wellings at the Pollentia, but I suppose that this site is a modern version of that means of finding out what is about. Best wishes- Hugh Matthews- Northampton, UK

Hi Hugh. Many thanks for the post, interesting history which I appreciate as I was not here in the early days and it's always good to hear what went on. 162 species is quite good, getting to 200 takes some doing so well done. I have never heard of Dave Wellings but would have loved to have been at those meetings. I will make contact nearer the time and can up-date you on what's around. I am usually around Albufera at least once a week so I hope we get time to say hello. Mike

Got the updated Gosney guide and DVD through the post this morning. Watched the DVD when I got home and am getting very excited about our trip in April. Even my other half, who isn't as mad keen on birds as I am, is looking forward to finding birds we did't see last time. Scop's Owl, Black Vulture and Thekla Lark are high on the list. Would really like some better views of Eleonora's Falcon too as we only had distant views at S'Albufera before. I am really enjoying following this thread and look forward to reading all the updates between now and our holiday.

Rachel

Hi Rachel, your three species should not be difficult. If you can get into the mountains, particularly Cúber Reservoir, then Black Vulture should not be a problem. They show well too at Mortitx which is maybe easier to get to. Thekla lark are in the fields, really easy here in the south but harder where you are staying. I will try to find a reliable site near you and let you know. Eleanora's hunt in the evenings around the Depuradora on the edge of s'Albufera. They are probably better later in the year but you should get good views there. Dave Gosneys video is inspiring so I'm not surprised that you are getting excited. Mike

Thanks Mike, that's really helpful. Certainly looking forward to the sun, sea and sangria as oppossed to the snow, snow and more snow here.

Summer Hols

Hi Mike
My wife and I will be visiting Mallorca late july. we are staying at Alcudia (old town side).
Are there any sites within walking distance for early morning while the wife is in bed birding.
Look forward to folowing your thread and asking you more questions if that is ok

A good day at s'Albufera: many Night herons, Greylag geese, Marsh harriers, Kentish plovers, Purple galinule, Water pipit, Hoopoe, Green and Common sandpipers, Cetti's warbler, Teal. Wigeon and Great crested grebe. "Big Year" total: 99

Hi Paul, late July will be good with lots of Eleanora's falcons hunting around the Depuradora in the evening, Bee-eaters in the same area, lots of waarblers and hirundines, all the Egrets and Herons plus lots of sunshine! Let me know if you have any target birds and I will try to help. Mike

Thanks Mike.
I really appreciate your help. There wll be quite a few target birds as I do not get this opportunity often.Looking at google earth the hotel we are staying in is near to l'Albufereta.

Three Penduline tits have been seen at s'Albufera but finding them is a different matter, they seem to go round the reserve in a loop and catching up with them is a challenge, the old story of being in the right place at the right time..

Three Penduline tits have been seen at s'Albufera but finding them is a different matter, they seem to go round the reserve in a loop and catching up with them is a challenge, the old story of being in the right place at the right time..

Are they just over-wintering birds or can they be found year round Mike? Would love to get to see them!

Are they just over-wintering birds or can they be found year round Mike? Would love to get to see them!

Scarce winterers, usually a few are seen each winter in Jan or Feb. As Mike says, they are really hit-and-miss. In 20 years here I've only managed to see a couple....:t:

I guess I can count myself very lucky then (which I knew I had been), as I located a small flock at s'Albufera one year. I must look out my notes and check when it was. They were in the trees between the staff area and the smaller of the two canals, just before bridge. First picked them up on call.

They love to feed on the larva of a moth, Limnaecia phragmitella, which feed on the developing seeds of Reedmace and cause the heads to 'blow'.

Best wishes

Martin

They seem to favour the area that Martin suggests, that's where they were seen this year. It is best to stay at this point and wait for them. This morning at Cap de Ses Salines: 5 Gannet, one Fieldfare and three Redwing, none of them easy birds to see here. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back