• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.

As in Can Cuarassa restuarant? Lingered around there this afternoon for the Spotless Starlings but no joy (and nothing oriole-like); did have Great Reed Warbler behind the restaurant though.

Mortitx - Saturday

First time at this site. Impressed. Firecrest & blackcap in the trees at the start, then great views of Eleonoras hunting along the valley floor. Higher up Cirl Bunting, Black & Griffon Vulture. Then, finally, a pair of Bonellis Eagle - my first on the island. I remember someone was collecting records of Blue Tit - one heard but not seen.
At the villa in Campenet a pair of Stone Curlew, the last two mornings in the field opposite - 20 metres away & a male Tree Sparrow in the garden.
Albufera awaits tomorrow!

Thanks Pep and others for keeping us up to date, quite a lot going on.
Over the years I always believed that July and August were very quiet but I guess because of the heat, not many people venture out. Last year there was a bonanza, especially waders so the marshes are always worth a visit at this time of the year. Good luck to all birders who are coming this week, there are quite a few of you. Mike

As in Can Cuarassa restuarant? Lingered around there this afternoon for the Spotless Starlings but no joy (and nothing oriole-like); did have Great Reed Warbler behind the restaurant though.

Yes as you go along the gravel track behind the restaurant there are some overhead wires on the left heading towards Alcudia. A few hundred yards down male oriole sat on the wire for at least twenty mins (before I moved on). I also have not seen spotless starlings here for three years now....wonder if they still appear here?

GRW a good spot!

First time at this site. Impressed. Firecrest & blackcap in the trees at the start, then great views of Eleonoras hunting along the valley floor. Higher up Cirl Bunting, Black & Griffon Vulture. Then, finally, a pair of Bonellis Eagle - my first on the island. I remember someone was collecting records of Blue Tit - one heard but not seen.
At the villa in Campenet a pair of Stone Curlew, the last two mornings in the field opposite - 20 metres away & a male Tree Sparrow in the garden.
Albufera awaits tomorrow!

Love Mortitx. Ive only ever seen Bonelli's Eagles from a long way off. Did you get good views, and where from?

I have seen Spotless Starlings this year a few times at Can Cuarassa on the wires so they are around.
Also, whilst on the subject, I have seen Starling species from the car whilst driving, particularly around the airport but in other places too. I can't say for sure which species they were but I don't see why they would only breed at one site on the Island. Any news on other sites would be appreciated. Mike

I have seen Spotless Starlings this year a few times at Can Cuarassa on the wires so they are around.
Also, whilst on the subject, I have seen Starling species from the car whilst driving, particularly around the airport but in other places too. I can't say for sure which species they were but I don't see why they would only breed at one site on the Island. Any news on other sites would be appreciated. Mike

Thanks Mike

Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.

Wow! Those storms certainly kicked things up!

May I ask whereabouts Maristany is? Have not been able to find it on any maps...

Many thanks.

Wow! Those storms certainly kicked things up!

May I ask whereabouts Maristany is? Have not been able to find it on any maps...

Many thanks.

Hi Luke,

If you come off the roundabout with the Lidl store on your left there's a left turn immediately after Lidl. You can turn here and park almost immediately, on the tarmac before the track starts. you can view the pools as you walk down the track.

Stew

Spotless starlings

I can't say for sure which species they were but I don't see why they would only breed at one site on the Island. Any news on other sites would be appreciated. Mike

Hello Mike
There are a big colony of spotless sterlings breeding in this abandoned Coronado inside the airport of Palma
https://goo.gl/maps/1Uzt1wuH7FL2

Also in the closer Son Oms Industrial area, on the roofs of some buildings
https://goo.gl/maps/qmWTSW6XSmF2

There are also in the proximity of Palma prison, in the road from Palma to Soller; and also near the Bassa of Can Guided, a very good area for birding with a terrify surrondings. It is near Palma and the Airport and it is the number 49 in the Majorca Birding Map (75 best birding points).

Attachments

• 11mallorca-birding-map2.jpg
    11mallorca-birding-map2.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 39
Albufera then....

Yes it was hot but well worth it. Highlights: Nesting Glossy Ibis in amongst the egret colony. Is there a count for these birds this year? They seemed to be everywhere. We saw 8 in the air at one time and that doesn't include the nest or the singles & pairs flying just before or after.
At Sa Roca the Western Reef Egret was showing well from the mound but we couldn't pick it up from the hides, so no photos - shame, that is some bird! also a spotted redshank and two Wood Sandpiper were a mild surprise.

We saw them from just below Lavanor - reasonable distance for viewing & id ( for eagles!) although it was a short encounter. Signs said no progress beyond that area to Ses Basses atm - protecting breeding sites? - so we turned back & picked them up immediately soaring in front of the cliff face looking ktowards the sea

Love Mortitx. Ive only ever seen Bonelli's Eagles from a long way off. Did you get good views, and where from?

We saw them from just below Lavanor - reasonable distance for viewing & id ( for eagles!) although it was a short encounter. Signs said no progress beyond that area to Ses Basses atm - protecting breeding sites? - so we turned back & picked them up immediately soaring in front of the cliff face looking ktowards the sea

I visited Mallorca for a short break last week. There was no sign of the Western Reef Heron from Sa Roca hide on 26th. I was told by the warden that it had not been seen for 10 to 12 days. Same day I had three juvenile Balearic Warblers at the end of the Boquer just above the bay. On 27th I had a female Montoli`s Warbler at Cuber just beyond the quarry showing well & calling all the time. Same day amongst three Griffons was an interesting looking vulture that may possibly have been the Ruppell`s [if it`s still there]. Looked pretty good to me though no previous experience of the species & I wish I had given it more attention at the time. Too intent on seeing a Moltoni`s to my regret.

Could you give a brief description as to what it looked like when compared to the Griffons? Think Ruppell's are about 10% smaller & have darker coverts.
Caution is needed in identifying Ruppell's, because some griffons exhibit coverts as dark as many Ruppell's.

The size difference may be noticeable between two adjacent vultures, but with birds separated by any distance or in a single bird it isn't obvious.

This vulture, photographed in 2012 near the Strait of Gibraltar, with its dark and un-contrasting plumage and clean edges to the very pale under-wing marking was originally identified by myself and later by others who are very familiar with the species as a Ruppell's but further examination showed it to be a dark griffon. I've seen quite a few real Ruppell's on my regular autumn trip to the Strait, but I now look at them extra hard.

Further inspection shows that although its dark plumage and darker head looked good, the head is actually too large, the wing (arm/hand) proportions don't look right, the body is too bulky and the tail looks too long.

This photo was actually used as an example of a confusion species for Ruppell's in an article (in English) in Dutch Birding (Vol38, No 6) by Javi Elorriaga and Guillermo Rodriguez 'Identification of Ruppell's Vulture and White-backed Vulture and vagrancy in the WP'.

EDIT. A bit of additional information. At first I took the additional white bars on the underwing to be a sign that it was a 2nd year bird, because information was limited beyond saying that additional white bars develop as the birds age beyond the first year birds I'd seen until then. In fact close inspection shows the white ruff of an adult griffon.

Attachments

• Ruppell's-(10)-(mis-ided---it's-actually-a-dark-griffon)fbook.jpg
    Ruppell's-(10)-(mis-ided---it's-actually-a-dark-griffon)fbook.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back