• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

We saw them from just below Lavanor - reasonable distance for viewing & id ( for eagles!) although it was a short encounter. Signs said no progress beyond that area to Ses Basses atm - protecting breeding sites? - so we turned back & picked them up immediately soaring in front of the cliff face looking ktowards the sea

Great. Many thanks and good birding for rest of the week...

Thank you Pep for the very detailed information on the breeding Spotless Starlings, I knew they were around the airport so it's nice to know exactly where.
Thank you also Barred Wobbler for your really interesting experiences with Griffon v Ruppell's vultures, I have no experience of Ruppell's but did see a strange Griffon once so this information will be a great help to us all. Mike

I have to say I`m not confident enough to say it was a Ruppell`s. Stupid really but my main mission on this trip was to possitively identify a Moltoni`s. I`m sorry but this really is a rubbish description. The four vultures appeared over the ridge, three definite Griffons the other as I said looked interesting [i.e. different]. Overall it appeared to have a darker ground to the underwings but with pale feathers to the coverts [described in my notes at the time as "blotchy/spotted"]. The underbody also appeared to be streaked with pale feathers & I noted that the size appeared a little smaller than the Griffons though difficult to judge accurately. The bird soared with wings held in a very shallow "v". The wedge shaped tail looked extremely short which may have been exagerated by the broad wings [bulging secondaries]. It would certainly not have been in adult plumage. The obvious detail missing from this description I realise is no mention of the "diagnostic" white forewing line. As I said I regret not taking sufficient notice of it at the time intent on seeing a Moltoni`s which I am pleased to say I eventually did. So no way can I claim the bird as a Ruppell`s but anyone visiting Cuber should bear in mind the possiblity of the Ruppell`s being still around and I would be interested in any reports of it over the next few weeks.

A juvenile Ruppell's with a more typical griffon here, photographed Sept 2015 at the Algarrobo watchpoint, Algeciras.

Ruppell's to my eye usually has a compact, 'rakish' look about it. The jizz is somehow different.

NB. Other shots in this sequence show that the griffon is a bit lower and therefore closer to the camera than the Ruppell's, so the size difference is a bit exaggerated here.

Attachments

• Ruppell's-(17)-800web.jpg
    Ruppell's-(17)-800web.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Brief visit to Depuradora de S'Illot / San Bosc yesterday afternoon produced Purple Heron, many young Shelduck and BW Stilt, 2 Marbled Duck, 4 Green Sand, good numbers of Yellow Wag, at least 7 Bee-eaters, a family party of RL Partridge, Tree Sparrow, Short-toed Lark, several Tawny Pipits posing nicely on the roadside fences and a flock of a dozen Spotless Starling (from viewing platform look south in line with the orange bladed wind pump).

Wish it had clicked that Marinstay was Tucan Marsh - drove right by it!

vulture at cuber

All good points you make and I would say the jizz of the Ruppell`s in your photo reminds me more of my bird though I`m well aware that the mind plays tricks with you. The diagnostic pale line to the leading edge of the wing is so obvious & I was well aware of this feature prior to seeing my bird but I did not record this at the time. You would think after 50 odd years birding I`d take detailed field notes or run off a record photo though with my idiot camera at the height the bird was it would be little use. I did not get my scope on the bird just my bins. One of those birds I`ll no doubt agonise over until I finally see a "good one." Thanks for your comments which are very much appreciated.

A juvenile Ruppell's with a more typical griffon here, photographed Sept 2015 at the Algarrobo watchpoint, Algeciras.

Ruppell's to my eye usually has a compact, 'rakish' look about it. The jizz is somehow different.

NB. Other shots in this sequence show that the griffon is a bit lower and therefore closer to the camera than the Ruppell's, so the size difference is a bit exaggerated here.

I visited Mallorca for a short break last week. There was no sign of the Western Reef Heron from Sa Roca hide on 26th. I was told by the warden that it had not been seen for 10 to 12 days. Same day I had three juvenile Balearic Warblers at the end of the Boquer just above the bay. On 27th I had a female Montoli`s Warbler at Cuber just beyond the quarry showing well & calling all the time. Same day amongst three Griffons was an interesting looking vulture that may possibly have been the Ruppell`s [if it`s still there]. Looked pretty good to me though no previous experience of the species & I wish I had given it more attention at the time. Too intent on seeing a Moltoni`s to my regret.

One of the disappointments of Albufera is the lack of updated sightings - there doesn't seem to be the same culture of encouraging & reporting information. Sometimes this is combined with indifference of at least some of the staff - several years back I reported a WW Black Tern flying around Sa Roca to be told that wasn't possible. I guess we're a bit spoilt at many reserves in the U.K.

Same day I had three juvenile Balearic Warblers at the end of the Boquer just above the bay.

I too had a family party of Balearic Warbler in the Boquer last week at the far seaward end, by the pillbox on the western sie of the valley

One of the disappointments of Albufera is the lack of updated sightings - there doesn't seem to be the same culture of encouraging & reporting information. Sometimes this is combined with indifference of at least some of the staff - several years back I reported a WW Black Tern flying around Sa Roca to be told that wasn't possible. I guess we're a bit spoilt at many reserves in the U.K.

Watching a white-winged black tern in Northumberland a couple of days ago I remarked that I'd found two for myself, but they were both in Spain; one on the Ebro Delta and another at Salinas de Cerrillos in Almeria.

I suspect that the species may be more common than many realise on spring migration.

Four Red-rumped swallows at Salobrar de Campos seems unseasonal for migrants, maybe they are breeding? I have also seen singles at Albufereta, Santanyi and the Depuradora, Albufera. I don't know of any confirmed breeding though.
The photograph of the Ruppell's Vulture with a Griffon is really useful, thanks for posting. There are several marked differences which will help anyone spotting this bird at Cuber, We will now know what to look for, Mike

I don't have the facts to back it up, but there seem to be far less Turtle doves this year. I have just been looking at one through my scope and what a beautiful bird it is. How anyone could blast these lovely doves out of the sky just for fun is beyond me. I guess some people are still living in the Stone Age. Mike

I don't have the facts to back it up, but there seem to be far less Turtle doves this year. I have just been looking at one through my scope and what a beautiful bird it is. How anyone could blast these lovely doves out of the sky just for fun is beyond me. I guess some people are still living in the Stone Age. Mike

I agree Mike. Beyond belief in a modern world....a few weeks ago I was watching hen harriers on Isle of Arran - there are more breeding pairs on that small island than in the whole of England! This is just the clearest evidence of systematic persecution by idiots for short term gain. Hopefully same does not happen here with Turtle doves.
To stay positive, Mallorca is just stunning for its diversity of bird life, and you're very lucky to live here with these magnificent creatures on your doorstep.

I was pleasantly surprised with the birds I had at this supposedly quiet time in Mallorca. It was good to be able to get to grips with Balearic Woodchat & Balearic Flycatcher [at ultra close range even on the flagged footpaths centre of Porto Pollensa]. Breeding Wryneck at the nest at entrance to Boquer & one bird I forgot to mention in my first post - Marbled Duck [juvenile or female] the moment I entered Sa Roca hide, it just flew in, landed on the water in the distance then within half a minute drifted behind vegetation & that was it. Typical view.

I too had a family party of Balearic Warbler in the Boquer last week at the far seaward end, by the pillbox on the western sie of the valley

I was pleasantly surprised with the birds I had at this supposedly quiet time in Mallorca. It was good to be able to get to grips with Balearic Woodchat & Balearic Flycatcher [at ultra close range even on the flagged footpaths centre of Porto Pollensa]. Breeding Wryneck at the nest at entrance to Boquer & one bird I forgot to mention in my first post - Marbled Duck [juvenile or female] the moment I entered Sa Roca hide, it just flew in, landed on the water in the distance then within half a minute drifted behind vegetation & that was it. Typical view.

I missed a few things when I went up Boquer last week in the thunderstorms - whereabouts was the Wryneck as will have another go early morning later in the week

Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.

2 Ruddy Shelduck still present today at Maristany - cracking little spot

Other birds present included 2+ Purple Gallinule, 3 Purple Heron, LR Plover, Wood Sand, several Yellow Wag, very good numbers of Coot and Moorhen, Little Grebe, GC Grebe, Pochard, Red-crested Pochard, Gadwall, Audouin's Gull, YL Gull and at least three singing Great Reed Warblers

Last edited:
Brief visit to Depuradora de S'Illot / San Bosc yesterday afternoon produced Purple Heron, many young Shelduck and BW Stilt, 2 Marbled Duck, 4 Green Sand, good numbers of Yellow Wag, at least 7 Bee-eaters, a family party of RL Partridge, Tree Sparrow, Short-toed Lark, several Tawny Pipits posing nicely on the roadside fences and a flock of a dozen Spotless Starling (from viewing platform look south in line with the orange bladed wind pump).

Was tempted back for another visit this afternoon - generally similar fare with the following variations:

Sandpiper numbers increased to 15 on the basin nearest the viewing platform - 10 Green and 5 Wood, Avocet seen distantly mobbing a Marsh Harrier, even better views of a pair of Tawny Pipit on the fence, revised estimate of 10-12 Bee-eaters along the track, Short-toed Lark, Audouin's Gull, 2 Stone Curlew and a further 2 calling.

Thanks Mickelene, I do feel very lucky to live here, it's all very exciting too because there are now many more locals taking up birding and it is great to be part of what is happening here. More surprises are being discovered all the time because of the increase in people looking.
I have been birding a few times in Arran, what a great place with a few Golden Eagles seen there. I may be going back later in the year. All the best, Mike

Boquer Wryneck

The Wryneck (or two) was seen on the left hand side of the Boquer farm track. Before you reach the main locked gate (the one with the l/h sub gate) there is a metal gate set between two high pillars. The gates have newly repaired hinges and is padlocked. Looking directly ahead about five metres is a scruffy tallish thin tree with a few obvious golden yellow dead leaves at it's centre. The Wryneck was very active in this tree. A fellow observer heard another bird off to the left. Also in view was the Woodchat Shrike perched on the right hand side of the tree and a Hoopoe was in front on the ground.
Phil

The Wryneck (or two) was seen on the left hand side of the Boquer farm track. Before you reach the main locked gate (the one with the l/h sub gate) there is a metal gate set between two high pillars. The gates have newly repaired hinges and is padlocked. Looking directly ahead about five metres is a scruffy tallish thin tree with a few obvious golden yellow dead leaves at it's centre. The Wryneck was very active in this tree. A fellow observer heard another bird off to the left. Also in view was the Woodchat Shrike perched on the right hand side of the tree and a Hoopoe was in front on the ground.
Phil

Many thanks Phil

On Mike's earlier observation re Turtle Dove, the only place I have encountered them in the 11 days I have been on the island is around the south-eastern viewing platform at Albufereta

Hi Andrew
to be fair on the staff at s'Albufera (who manage under extreme conditions not known to most visitors) I think a little background information might be helpful.
The main reason that there have been no lists of recent sightings, as there used to be, is the fact that all the Parc Naturalists in the Balearics were sacked several years ago. It was they who compiled the list - and did a lot of other essential biological recording. Also many visiting birders don't bother to report their unusual sightings to the reception staff - who mainly have to deal with hundreds of non-birding tourists during their working day. I know most of them and they are usually most helpful.
As for your WWBT sighting, I can't offer an explanation. It is, however, an uncommon passage migrant on Mallorca.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back