• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Barn Owl seen twice this morning at the Flashes from 5:50am as per Andy P. Also juvenile Little Ringed Plover, 3 Avocet, 13 Curlew, 7 Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, 56 Lapwing and now just 1 juvenile Shelduck.

Andy P further reports from the Flashes:

2 Shelduck, 58 Teal, 9 Shoveler, 6 Gadwall, Little Grebe. Juvenile Grey Wagtail at the Sailing Pool.

First update from the Autumn All-Day Birdwatch:

FLASHES as per JTB and Andy P
No Barn Owl :( 3 Avocet, 6 Snipe, 6 Green Sandpiper, 12 Curlew, juvenile Little Ringed Plover, 2 juvenile Shelduck, 8 Gadwall, 50+ Teal, Shoveler, adult Yellow-legged Gull

MOORS POOL as per Des
Water Rail, Little Egret, Common Sandpiper, Sand Martin, Kingfisher

Last edited:
A good selection of birds by Dave J in and around the causeway at the Moors Pool:

Tawny Owl at 05.10, Spotted Flycatcher, Pheasant, 2 Sand Martin, 100+ Swallow, 10+ House Martin, 2 Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest, Jay, Coal Tit, Swift, 8 Meadow Pipit

Last edited:
Hi all,

I had an amazing 9hrs today (10-7). This was the first All-dayer I have been able to get to and everyone was so friendly and helpful. What an amazing place with amazing people. My personal count was 54 and although I cannot add to the overall count, sorry!, I loved the day :)

Attachments

• 2E1E828D-87C0-4071-9F65-FBCEE82F197F.jpeg
    2E1E828D-87C0-4071-9F65-FBCEE82F197F.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 45
just some pics from today
1 from dawn
4 even the coppers come in pairs

Attachments

• IMG_8621.JPG
    IMG_8621.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8625.JPG
    IMG_8625.JPG
    524.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8626.JPG
    IMG_8626.JPG
    745.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8627.JPG
    IMG_8627.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8630.JPG
    IMG_8630.JPG
    677.9 KB · Views: 37
good to see so many people enjoying the reserve today.
1 dodgy goose
2 dodgy heron
3 counted this one today.
4 morhen with chicks on Amy's
5 good to see car park full

Attachments

• IMG_8631.JPG
    IMG_8631.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8634.JPG
    IMG_8634.JPG
    724.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8635.JPG
    IMG_8635.JPG
    692.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8642.JPG
    IMG_8642.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8645.JPG
    IMG_8645.JPG
    653.5 KB · Views: 59
Latest additions, courtesy of Dave Walker, of Willow Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat take us to 84.

Unfortunately no birds were added passed 11am :eek!: with no late showing by the Barn Owl or scarcer gulls in the Flashes roost so the total remained at 84. Well done to all who participated and sorry I couldn't join you.

A record-breaking 24 sites joined in this autumn's event and it is great to see how the original idea from John and Stuart Croft has snowballed. The overall scores as I understand them are as follows:

100 - Belvide Reservoir
99 - Middleton Lakes
95 - Branston GPs
92 - Ladywalk
92 - Grimley
88 - Sandwell Valley
84 - Upton Warren
81 - Chasewater
77 - Bittell Reservoirs
74 - Brandon Marsh
74 - Dairy Farm NR
73 - Marsh Lane
72 - Venus Pool
70 - Salford Priors GPs
69 - Sutton Park
69 - Alvecote
66 - Doxey Marsh
65 - Elmdon Park
64 - Shustoke Reservoir
64 - Morton Bagot
63 - Whitemoor Haye
60 - Saltwells / Fens Pool
60 - Earlswood Lakes
55 - Draycote Water

Last edited:
The full list of 84 species recorded (an above average total for the Autumn event) is as follows:

Mute Swan
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Shelduck
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Shoveler
Tufted Duck
Pheasant
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
Little Egret
Grey Heron
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Kestrel
Hobby
Peregrine
Water Rail
Moorhen
Coot
Avocet
Little Ringed Plover
Lapwing
Snipe
Curlew
Green Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Herring Gull
Stock Dove
Wood Pigeon
Feral Pigeon
Collared Dove
Tawny Owl
Swift
Kingfisher
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Sand Martin
Swallow
House Martin
Meadow Pipit
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Cetti's Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler
Lesser Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Goldcrest
Spotted Flycatcher
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Raven
Starling
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Linnet
Bullfinch
Reed Bunting

All dayer Yesterday

Although the All Dayer is primarily about the number of different species we see, it is also a useful way of counting how many birds are on the reserve.

At this time of year birds aren't singing apart from the new male CETTI'S trying to set up territories and established males defending their's. Chiffchaff will briefly sing and other juvenile warblers will 'sub-song'.
However there were a lot of warbler contact alling and others foraging silently through the hedgerows and thickets. Most finch species were conspicuosly feeding on seeds, whether on the ground on thistles or the feeders there were plenty of them around yesterday.
Later I will attempt to quantify the numbers but overall there were a lot of birds of all species scattered around the reserve.. So if anyone would like to add their observations, that would helpbcreate a true sense of the
actual totals involved.
One example of the amount of birds on site, was when we spent 30 minutes at the North Moors feeders.
In that time we notched up the following.
Nuthatch, treecreeper, blackbird, jay, sparrowhawk, bullfinch 2. Goldcrest 2 poss 3. Blackcap 2. Chiffchaff 4+. Coal tit, blue, great and long tailed tit in good numbers probably 40+ birds and all this around 6pm.
So even at the this late time there were loads of birds about..
Minimum totals
Mute swan 6
Greylag 60
Canadas 350
Shelduck 2
Gadwall 12
Teal 60
Mallard 320.
Shoveler 10
Tufted 12
Little grebe 3
GCG 2
Cormorant 8
Little egret 3
Moorhen 60
Coot 100
Water rail 8
Avocet 3
LRP 1
Lapwing 120
Snipe 8
Curlew 13
Green sand 6
Common sand 1
BHG 900
LBBG 120
Herring gull 12
Yellow Legged Gull 1
Stock dove 80
Wood pigeon 300
Collared dove 2
Swift 2
Kingfisher 3
Sand martin 10
Swallow 120+
House martin 80+
Meadow pipit 120+
Grey wag 3
Pied wag 2
Blackbird c5 (very few seen must be many moulting hidden away)
Song thrush 3
Mistle thrush 15 (13 in one flock)
Cetti's w 6
Sedge warbler 4
Reed warbler 5
Lesser Whitethroat 1
Whitethroat 3
Blackcap 15+
Chiffchaff 30
Willow warbler 3+
Goldcrest 3
Long tailed tit 50+
Coal tit 2
Blue tit 80+
Great tit 40+
Nuthatch 2
Treecreeper 3+
Jay 4
Jackdaw 200+
Rook 10+
Raven 2
Starling 150
Chaffinch 3
Greenfinch 25+
Goldfinch 80-100
Linnet 10
Bullfinch 4
Reed bunting 15-20
I'm sure others will have more to add
:t: john

Last edited:
A very early record of Jack Snipe at the Flashes this morning as per Stephen Phillips. Also 3 Avocet still, 4 Common Snipe, the juvenile Little Ringed Plover and 2 Green Sandpiper.

Although the All Dayer is primarily about the number of different species we see, it is also a useful way of counting how many birds are on the reserve.

At tbis time of year birds aren't singing apart from the new male CETTI'S trying to set up territories and established males defending their's. Chiffchaff will briefly sing and other juvenile warblers will 'sub-song'.
However there were a lot of warbler contact alling and others foraging silently through the hedgerows and thickets. Most finch species were conspicuosly feeding on seeds, whether on the ground on thistles or the feeders there were plenty of them around yesterday.
Later I will attempt to quantify the numbers but overall there were a lot of birds of all species scattered around the reserve.. So if anyone would like to add their observations, that would helpbcreate a true sense of the
actual totals involved.
One example of the amount of birds on site, was when we spent 30 minutes at the North Moors feeders.
In that time we notched up the following.
Nuthatch, treecreeper, blackbird, jay, sparrowhawk, bullfinch 2. Goldcrest 2 poss 3. Blackcap 2. Chiffchaff 4+. Coal tit, blue, great and long tailed tit in good numbers probably 40+ birds and all this around 6pm.
So even at the this late time there were loads of birds about..more later :t: john

...when i was in the east hide, the right hand feeder at the concrete hide (as viewed from the east hide) at one point had at least 10 greenfinch on it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back