• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching around Cairo (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Hello everyone !

I'm going to Egypt in october and since I have three free days in Cairo, I would like to know if there is good birdwatching spots in this region (I'll be going on a tour afterwards - Western desert, Nile valley, Sinai).

I was thinking about El Fayoum, Suez Canal or the nile river delta (?), but I don't have enough information to decide.

I would also like to know if there is tour operators or guides offering two days birdwatching tours around Cairo...

Any suggestions welcome !

Hi there
There’s some really good birding within half an hour or so of Cairo – I’ve now been a couple of times. The two sites that would be particularly worth visiting are Abassa and Wadi El Natrum. Abassa is rich in its birdlife with lots of herons, egrets etc as well as specialities such as Senegal Thick-knee, Senegal Coucal, Painted Snipe, Little Bee-eater and Clamorous Reed Warblers. Wadi El Natrum should have a lot of waders and is an extremely good site for Kittlitz’s Plover.

These two reports of mine should give you more of an idea about the two sites and what you can see (also check out other trip reports from Egypt on www.travellingbirder.com): -
http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/egyptmarch2006.htm
and
http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/egyptjune2007.htm

Without doubt the best Egyptian guide to get in contact with would be Ahmed Riad ([email protected]); a really nice guy, fluent in English, knows the birds of Cairo and is also a very competent driver!

Hope the above helps
Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back