• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID,Cairo,Egypt. (1 Viewer)

mosman1

small birds in wadi degla, big one in ain sokhna

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8301d.JPG
    IMG_8301d.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8290d.JPG
    IMG_8290d.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8410d.JPG
    IMG_8410d.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8400d.JPG
    IMG_8400d.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 78
Suggesting.....Reef Egret, Basalt Wheatear(a long shot), Rock Martin, Dunno?, Willow Warbler and an almost Summer plumaged male Collared Flycatcher?

Not sure vabout the Egret but the rest are,
2&3 White Crowned Wheatear.
4&5 Rock Martin.
6, Spotted Flycatcher.
7, Wood Warbler.
8, Collared Flycatcher.

I might be wrong!... but I feel that No.7 although looking very bright! is too attenuated, ie long tailed, with pp being 'just' short of tertial length for Wood Warbler(normally the opposite) A 'front on shot' would have been more yielding!

i also instantly thought wood warbler for 7 but tail projection is too long. wings in wood warbler are so long that tail appears really short so ken might be right with willow w.

I've been umming and ahing over it too Lou. It does look a little long-tailed, but then again it also looks very dark tertialled. I don't like that yellow on the underside either (for Wood) and the bill looks a bit dark. But overall it really gives a Wood Warbler impression. I had a look to see if I could see a 1st primary which would have ruled wood out, but I can't. Might get forensic on it later

I might be wrong!... but I feel that No.7 although looking very bright! is too attenuated, ie long tailed, with pp being 'just' short of tertial length for Wood Warbler(normally the opposite) A 'front on shot' would have been more yielding!

i also instantly thought wood warbler for 7 but tail projection is too long. wings in wood warbler are so long that tail appears really short so ken might be right with willow w.

I've been umming and ahing over it too Lou. It does look a little long-tailed, but then again it also looks very dark tertialled. I don't like that yellow on the underside either (for Wood) and the bill looks a bit dark. But overall it really gives a Wood Warbler impression. I had a look to see if I could see a 1st primary which would have ruled wood out, but I can't. Might get forensic on it later

another pics for the same bird. should get you decided whether a wood warbler or not

Attachments

• IMG_6498.JPG
    IMG_6498.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6501d.JPG
    IMG_6501d.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Surely nr i is a Reef, look at the bill shape.

As for the Wood Warbler, note exeptional long primary projection together with overall impression.

JanJ

OMG mosman these shots are marvelous, i never knew such beauties are right across the red sea, i am jumping in the first plane to cairo, just kidding.

you should really consider posting them in the gallery very few posts form Egypt.

OMG mosman these shots are marvelous, i never knew such beauties are right across the red sea, i am jumping in the first plane to cairo, just kidding.

you should really consider posting them in the gallery very few posts form Egypt.

thank you ammadoux, much appreciated. Will post them in the gallery.

I think No 2 shot (3rd set) certainly clinches it as a Wood Warbler!....showing an almost short-tailed appearance relative to pp. Mosman1...wish you'd shown that image 1st!

ps Superb shots!....keep 'em comin'

Not sure vabout the Egret but the rest are,
2&3 White Crowned Wheatear.
4&5 Rock Martin.
6, Spotted Flycatcher.
7, Wood Warbler.
8, Collared Flycatcher.

Might I suggest Pale Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne (fuligula) obsoleta, if regarded as a splt from African Rock Martin P.(f.) fuligula?

Because there is no (post-split) accredited record of the latter in Egypt, we wouldn't want Mosman1 to start filling in a formal rarity report this early! It could dampen his enthusiasm!

For the record, I think it likely that P.(f.) fuligula has reached Egypt, but probably near the border with Sudan near the Nile.
MJB

I think No 2 shot (3rd set) certainly clinches it as a Wood Warbler!....showing an almost short-tailed appearance relative to pp. Mosman1...wish you'd shown that image 1st!

ps Superb shots!....keep 'em comin'

Indeed - no doubt now!

thx Kenm
my bad :D

Might I suggest Pale Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne (fuligula) obsoleta, if regarded as a splt from African Rock Martin P.(f.) fuligula?

Because there is no (post-split) accredited record of the latter in Egypt, we wouldn't want Mosman1 to start filling in a formal rarity report this early! It could dampen his enthusiasm!

For the record, I think it likely that P.(f.) fuligula has reached Egypt, but probably near the border with Sudan near the Nile.
MJB

PAPER WORK:eek!:
lol,hopefully nothing gonna dampen my enthusiasm,

and thank you all for contributing to the thread.

MJB

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=32832

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back