• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42 IS L cutaway view (1 Viewer)

Hi etudiant,

As I mentioned on another post today:

"For whatever reason, the idea hasn't caught on that your eyeglass prescription plays a major role in determining your eye relief needs. In general, near sighted folks can get away with shorter eye relief than far sighted people. The optical explanation has to do with how the prescription lenses move the effective location and size of your eyes' entry pupils."

Depending on the prescription involved, we're talking about 3-5mm.

Being 3.5D far-sighted, usability for me begins with ER ≥ 18mm.

They are in the optics business and peddle expensive products. It's only fair that they provide what the population needs.

Ed

Thanks for that insight.
Explains why 13-15mm is fine for me at -4D but no good for some others.
Seems obvious now that you point out why, the image of the eye,
but I blamed it on glasses frame size only before.

Last edited:
Here, so folks can compare the optical configuration with that of other alphas.

http://cweb.canon.jp/binoculars/10x42li-spsite/s_n/index.html

This takes you to a "special site" for the binocular. To get the cutaway, 1) skip the annoying animation by clicking "skip," 2) click 3rd from top red rectangle, 3) click the bottom left red rectangle, 4) click the 3rd from top red rectangle.

Sorry that this is so involved. If someone finds a more direct way to get to it, please post the link.

Kimmo
Well, it looks like this link is no longer available. The closest I have gotten is here:

キヤノン:双眼鏡 BINOCULARS 10×42 L IS WP|仕様

Thankful that 'henry link' took photographs of the screen. Did anyone happen to download the digital files? It's quite an impressive schematic.

Thanks,

Todd

A user on CloudyNights grabbed the flash stills before the link was pulled. I have cleaned them up and ran Google Translate on the text.

Todd

Attachments

• Canon10x42L-IS-optics.jpg
    Canon10x42L-IS-optics.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Canon10x42L-IS-side.jpg
    Canon10x42L-IS-side.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Canon10x42L-IS-top.jpg
    Canon10x42L-IS-top.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back