• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (11 Viewers)

The buff breasted sandpiper and long billed dowitcher, both at Frampton. Many thanks to the RSPB staff and other birders who assisted me in seeing both!

Two questions:

- plumage state

- distance?

Congratulations!

John

Up on Frankfield Loch John. So plumage state - meh. Distance - c50 metres. Would loved to have seen the Aultbea individual earlier in the year. Though possibly the same bird?

And ta by the way. Replaced the dodgy birds on my list with the Teal, Black-crowned Night Heron and Collared Pratincole :t:

Rich

Spotted flycatcher in Elgin, Morayshire, yesterday. Had never seen a flycatcher in the UK but it was doing the classic flycatcher thing of darting out, grabbing, and darting back. Which made it easy to spot as it was feeding every dozen seconds or so. And then helpfully perched prominently. Looked rather grey as opposed to brown though.

Attachments

• 48622628023_beb14faeaa_c.jpg
    48622628023_beb14faeaa_c.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 24
Thick-billed Grasswren

The first time I've been paid to bag a lifer! I'm technically an engineer, but the ecology folks at work know that I have ornithology quals and experience so I occasionally get a gig when they need extra hands (well, eyes...). Didn't need much persuading to assist on this one.

A lost-looking little auk at Roa Island, Cumbria, UK. It swam into a rocky area under a lifeboat station and then couldn't work out how to do a u-turn. Took a while to get back out.

I'm going to con everyone at work it was a penguin.

Attachments

• 48700418936_916d78c229_c.jpg
    48700418936_916d78c229_c.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 66
A lost-looking little auk at Roa Island, Cumbria, UK. It swam into a rocky area under a lifeboat station and then couldn't work out how to do a u-turn. Took a while to get back out.

I'm going to con everyone at work it was a penguin.
Sorry, but that one's a juvenile Razorbill - too large for Little Auk, and also lacks the latter's white streaks on the secondary coverts. Young Razorbills take several months for their bills to grow to the full adult size. Also Little Auks are still up in the Arctic, and will be for some time yet.

Thanks - I thought it was a bit weird, but if it is a young one that explains it. Looks nothing like its parents...

In which case, ringed plover, same day, but on Walney Island.

Attachments

• 48700589297_b5de75e645_c.jpg
    48700589297_b5de75e645_c.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back