• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for seed (1 Viewer)

libirder

Hey im new here,and ive been looking for a nice mixture of seed.Im looking for a mixture that doesnt contain and millet,milo and cracked corn,fruits i got covered. Any suggestions? Thnanks for help

I don't know if you have a Blue Seal nearby but they have a seed machine (I use it all the time) that allows you to choose any combination of seed that you want. Moreover, Blue Seal provides you with a 50% off coupon for the seeds you purchase if you use the machine. The seed is clean and fresh. You can create your own blends or use their blends. Basically, they offer you a wide variety of seeds to choose from and you create the combination, i.e., 25% black sunflower seeds, 25% peanut hearts, 25% sunflower seeds, 25% nyjer seed. Blue Seal provides you with re-sealable plastic bags that hold approximately 10 lbs. of seed per pag and you put into the machine 1 bag at a time and the seed you selected is automatically blended to your specifications. It takes about 2 minutes per bag for blending. When you buy enough seed (it takes a few trips), you get $10 off coupon. Hope that helps.

Wow that sounds amazing.Ill look up where the nearest Blue Seal is. What types od seed do u think i should use ive got thistle socks,fruit feeder,peanut feeder with cracked corn and millet covered? And should i still get peanuts in my seet even with peanut feeder?Thnx for help

The people I have dealt with at Blue Seal are pretty knowledgeable. That being said, I have sort of done and mix and match which I adjust accordingly. What I feed in the summer isn't so high in fat as what I feed in the spring and winter when I think they need it the most. I forgot to mention that they also have a wide variety of suet that they occasionally put half-price (chili hot pepper, raisen, fruit, berry, nuts, etc.). I have a flat feeder that has lots of nuts and dried fruit interspersed with black oil sunflower seeds. I have a mix of sunflower seeds both black oil and striped, nyjer and cracked corn with a bit of millet in the tube feeders and and a hearty mix of nuts, fruit and seed in a weighted feeder and add to that two suet feeders. I also have dried worms (also bought at Blue Seal) for the woodpeckers. I'm not saying that's the optimum. I'm sure there are more opinions than seed types but ask them at Blue Seal and see what other people are feeding. I suspect you are near the shore being in LI and I'm a little north of the City and I don't know shore birds have different requirements.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back