• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swedish Dragonfly ID (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I took this photo on 16th June in Sweden. Not the best for identifying but any help appreciated
BB

Attachments

• bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 100
It looks like an immature Leucorrhinia sp (Whiteface) to me but I don't have any field experience so someone else will have to tell you the species.

Not a White-face, they have dark base to the hind wing which would be visible here plus it doesn't have a White face and looks too big.

I attached a couple from my local patch in Russia for you to have fun with.

Andy.

Attachments

• Russia Jul 15 057.JPG
    Russia Jul 15 057.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Russia Jul 15 065.JPG
    Russia Jul 15 065.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 40
I'm still going with Whiteface - this is a freshly emerged insect, yet to take its maiden flight, with its wings still drying out and not held in a position where you would be able to see the bases.

This is the last time I bother posting here - I always get overruled by some **** who thinks that because they have a bird list of UK450 they know a lot about dragonflies.

I'm still going with Whiteface - this is a freshly emerged insect, yet to take its maiden flight, with its wings still drying out and not held in a position where you would be able to see the bases.

This is the last time I bother posting here - I always get overruled by some **** who thinks that because they have a bird list of UK450 they know a lot about dragonflies.

Sorry you feel this way Paul but I value your input on this site, you've certainly expanded my knowledge. Hope you reconsider!

Shane

'This is the last time I bother posting here - I always get overruled by some **** who thinks that because they have a bird list of UK450 they know a lot about dragonflies.'

Why are you placating someone who talks this way to people regardless of how much he's helped you? I've been 'overruled' so many times with all sorts and have never considered a childish outburst such as this, pathetic.

I don't claim any expertise but I see 3 species of Leucorrhinia on my local patch here in Russia daily.

As a ***** who clearly has no manners, with personal attacks such as this I won't lose sleep if you never post again, ****

If you want to be aggressive and loutish with no regard for other opinions, join a football forum. Must say I'm quite taken back by this reaction.

Last edited:
Pterostigma, even though not fully stretched, always going to be a Libellulid and I'd agree with a Whiteface but have zero experience.

Paul, ID is always going to be about opinions and we all get things wrong. I make crappy IDs on groups I don't know well all the time and am always grateful for the input of people with your level of experience. Don't give up!

O

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back