• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Entry level DSLR (1 Viewer)

Apodidae49

Up to now I have been using a LUMIX FZ72 Megazoom for my (non too-serious) birding forays but the small sensor and massive 60x zoom don’t make comfortable bedfellows.

If I buy a DSLR, like an Eos 200D, and add a EF 75-300 zoom will I be able to get pictures that will crop for decent results?

I’m not in the market for a 500mm that costs thousands but I would like to be able to get some nice studies from crops as well as do some good all-round photography.

I know some Canon folks use the 400 f/5.6 well for about $700 used, but no image stabilization. I've not used the 75-300. But in any case, going from the 1200mm equivalent on the FZ72 to 480mm equivalent (300mm native) or 640mm (400mm equivalent) will likely be a let down in some ways.

I like to have at least 600mm (equivalent) focal length for birds with image stabilization as I shoot hand-held or monopod most of the time.

You might try shooting your FZ at 480 - 640 equivalent and see what you get. That will be what you're looking at in the DSLR world (though of course the sensor would be better).

You could also look at the Sony RX-10m4, which is 24-600 equivalent. Or the Nikon P1000. I've tried the Sony and it gives very nice shots. I've not tried the P1000. The price might be somewhere in the ballpark for the 200d + lens.

Marc

Certainly not an all round photography lens, but the Canon 400 F5.6 L is about the cheapest (new or used) lens going if you want some very nice shots.

It is small and light + it doesn't have IS so the AF is fast. In my opinion it has no competition in it's price range except, perhaps, the Canon 300 F4 L IS (but turn the IS off). If you do your part then a 400 F5.6 will give you top level results.

Avoid the 75 - 300 - it is cheap for a reason...........

Just my thoughts.

The Canon 400 f5.6 L is a great lens and about the best bang for your buck in the Canon range. New or used you're still going to need a new budget though. I'm not familiar with Canon bodies so I won't comment further there, other than Nikon have had the lead there for a while now.

Unless you want an exercise in frustration and lost £ here are your options as I see it.

The Nikon D7200 is by far your best bang for your buck body as far as IQ, DR, AF fps and buffer, and handling. New or used. At best you could save maybe ~£200 or so with a used D7100 - similar IQ, but it's limited buffer will annoy all but the most cash strapped.

Nikon D7200 ~ £550
+ either
Tamron/Sigma 100-400 ~£550
Tamron 150-600 G2 ~£900
If the budget won't stretch that far then to start with go for the
Nikon AF-P 70-300 ~£250

I wouldn't even consider anything else.

You can always get generalist kit or other 17-50, or 18-105, or whatever lenses later. I use a Tokina 12-28 f4.

Chosun :gh:

The Canon 400 f5.6 L is a great lens and about the best bang for your buck in the Canon range. New or used you're still going to need a new budget though. I'm not familiar with Canon bodies so I won't comment further there, other than Nikon have had the lead there for a while now.

Unless you want an exercise in frustration and lost £ here are your options as I see it.

The Nikon D7200 is by far your best bang for your buck body as far as IQ, DR, AF fps and buffer, and handling. New or used. At best you could save maybe ~£200 or so with a used D7100 - similar IQ, but it's limited buffer will annoy all but the most cash strapped.

Nikon D7200 ~ £550
+ either
Tamron/Sigma 100-400 ~£550
Tamron 150-600 G2 ~£900
If the budget won't stretch that far then to start with go for the
Nikon AF-P 70-300 ~£250

I wouldn't even consider anything else.

You can always get generalist kit or other 17-50, or 18-105, or whatever lenses later. I use a Tokina 12-28 f4.

Those cost a lot more in the UK than those prices you quote if you look to buying new.
I always recommend buying used, if you can wait you can get some great deals.
A used Canon 7D2 and a 400f5.6 would make an excellent starting package and they come up for sale quite frequently but you have to be prepared to invest £1500. Better to pay a bit more rather than try cheaper and end up with kit that doesn't deliver.

I have had two Lumix cameras including the one above. I got rid fairly quickly of the 'bigger' model to replace it with a Canon 60d and a cheap 75-300 lens - I was more than happy. The main thing that frustrated me with the Lumix was the focus speed - yes the zoom was great and beneficial at distance and the quality ok - I found I could almost use it as a telescope - what I mean is take a picture of a very distant then zoom in to aid identification.

That said the Canon was still an upgrade, the focus was quick and the lens gave 'good' results - as people have said its cheap so don't expect miracles. Whats good about it is its cheap enough to use until you have enough money to buy something else. Currently I have the Sigma 150-600 lens shich is ok but for the money I should have got the 400mm....

Hi
I have just gone and bought a Canon 750D and use this with my 150-600 Tamron G1 lens its a nice little combo, you can check out my shots within the album area, Ok not as good as if you had the big white lenses but they are not too bad.

Tim.

I’m now a “Nikon man” having ordered a D5600 and the 70-300 GF lens and am looking at getting the 10-20 VR wide angle and the Tamron 150-600 G2.

I'm not familiar with Canon bodies so I won't comment further there, other than Nikon have had the lead there for a while now.

Then don't make these comments if you don't know Canon at all. It does not help an uninformed person. :eek!::eek!:

In the right hands either system will work perfectly well, especially when you get to pro-level camera bodies eg. Nikon D5 or the Canon EOS 1Dx MkII. :t:

Then don't make these comments if you don't know Canon at all.

I did not say I didn't know Canon at all - so why go around boxing at shadows? The Canon 400 L f5.6 was clearly pointed out as a great option (as we're it's shortcomings by others). For the comprehension challenged, I was saying that I would leave it to other "users" with actual usage experience to recommend an appropriately matching consumer body to fit the budget.

Though, I still maintain that the Nikon D7200 is about the best bang for the buck body even to this day. The DR of most Nikon sensors outpoints those of most Canon's and has done for a while now.

It seems that situation is as resistant to change as is Nikon's ability to keep up with Canon lens wise (with the odd exception here and there). It is what it is.

The OP was operating to a limited budget, and so pro level cameras of any make is a rather moot point ;) Besides, in the right hands -- any -- camera is arguably going to be better than memory or doodling :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back