• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (4 Viewers)

Wingate Quarry yesterday, plenty butterflies about including the marbled whites.

Common Blue, small, large & green veined white, red admiral, small tortoiseshell, meadow brown, loads of small heath, ringlet, small skipper.
grass moths and a couple of burnet moths.
Also common darters, 1 ruddy darter, blue damsels and 2 emporer dragonflies around the pond area.

Attachments

• _MG_0163.jpg
    _MG_0163.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 194
  • _MG_0183.jpg
    _MG_0183.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 188
  • _MG_0240.jpg
    _MG_0240.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 192
  • _MG_9573.jpg
    _MG_9573.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 206
  • _MG_9713.jpg
    _MG_9713.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 183
A few more from Wingate Quarry.

Attachments

• _MG_9779.jpg
    _MG_9779.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 200
  • _MG_9918.jpg
    _MG_9918.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 204
  • _MG_9938.jpg
    _MG_9938.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 201
  • _MG_9946.jpg
    _MG_9946.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 198
  • _MG_9999.jpg
    _MG_9999.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 199
Kibblesworth

double figures of small heaths, only one small skipper, 4 small tortoiseshells, one peacock, difficult to count whites at least 6 green veined, not sure about the rest. One grayling? see photo (it landed on me). also my second comma this year, this one looks very fresh. saw a couple of faded burnets but most seem to be gone now. lots of meadow browns about and a few ringlets.

Attachments

• Kibblesworth 2 015.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 015.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Kibblesworth 2 071.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 071.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Kibblesworth 2 073.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 073.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Kibblesworth 2 081.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 081.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Kibblesworth 2 087.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 087.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 190
double figures of small heaths, only one small skipper, 4 small tortoiseshells, one peacock, difficult to count whites at least 6 green veined, not sure about the rest. One grayling? see photo (it landed on me). also my second comma this year, this one looks very fresh. saw a couple of faded burnets but most seem to be gone now. lots of meadow browns about and a few ringlets.
Hi Pete your right with the Grayling they never open there wings when resting.Did you try looking for the Purple Hairsteaks when you were at Kibblesworth.I saw 9+ the other day.

Moths trapped in the garden last night.

Loads of dark arches barred straw, yellow underwings and small moths that I hav'nt ID'd yet.
Some that I've managed to ID attached.

Common rustic, marbled beauty, common wave, common white wave and orange swift.

Attachments

• _MG_4146.JPG
    _MG_4146.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 175
  • _MG_4172.jpg
    _MG_4172.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 157
  • _MG_4204.JPG
    _MG_4204.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 158
  • _MG_4222.JPG
    _MG_4222.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 160
  • _MG_4351.JPG
    _MG_4351.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 163
Moths trapped in the garden last night.

Loads of dark arches barred straw, yellow underwings and small moths that I hav'nt ID'd yet.
Some that I've managed to ID attached.

Common rustic, marbled beauty, common wave, common white wave and orange swift.
Hi Ray i order a moth trap a couple of days ago just a cheap one.I should get it tomorrow.Cannot wait to try it out.

More from the garden last night.

Not sure on the first two.

3 - brimstone moth, 4 - Different marked orange swift, 5 - swallow prominent.

Attachments

• _MG_4272.JPG
    _MG_4272.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 169
  • _MG_4313.JPG
    _MG_4313.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 176
  • _MG_4407.JPG
    _MG_4407.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 174
  • _MG_4443.JPG
    _MG_4443.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 169
  • _MG_4467.jpg
    _MG_4467.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 172
Hi Pete your right with the Grayling they never open there wings when resting.Did you try looking for the Purple Hairsteaks when you were at Kibblesworth.I saw 9+ the other day.

I did keep my eyes open for them but didn't know where best to look. did you see them at the tops of the trees? Do you know is it too late for white letter hairstreaks?

More from the garden last night.

Not sure on the first two.

3 - brimstone moth, 4 - Different marked orange swift, 5 - swallow prominent.
Hi Ray the first one may be a Turnip Moth there colour varies a lot,and the second one looks like a Small Ermine.

Last edited:
I did keep my eyes open for them but didn't know where best to look. did you see them at the tops of the trees? Do you know is it too late for white letter hairstreaks?
There are still a few WL Hairstreaks around.The Purple Hairstreaks were mainly flying around near the tops of the oak trees but i managed to get reasonable views of 3 lower down on the trees resting on the leaves.

Kibblesworth

Dragon/Damsel flies seen include common blue (one of which I thought was ovipositing but in closer inspection was dipping in and out of the water whilst being eaten by a spider), m&f common darter, and mating m&f emerald damselflies. ...

Attachments

• Kibblesworth 2 019.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 019.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Kibblesworth 2 022.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 022.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Kibblesworth 2 030.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 030.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Kibblesworth 2 034.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 034.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 161
  • Kibblesworth 2 040.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 040.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 162
Hi Ray the first one may be a Turnip Moth there colour varies a lot,and the second one looks like a Small Ermine.

Cheers Martin:t:, looks pretty much like you're right on both counts, my book dos'nt have the small ermine in, but when I've checked on the net, It looks to be right.

kibblesworth continued

... as well as a mature female black tailed skimmer (I stand ready to be corrected here I am not confident with this one but I just thought it wasn't thin enough to be a black darter), what is likely to be a female common darter but had a bi of a tash so was wondering if it could be a vagrant darter (although the markings on the thorax do seem quite prominent) and finally a male southern hawker (I saw two of these fighting, the first one was very inquisitive) and an unknown I am unsure as to whether this is a female common darter (abdomen seems a little thick for this) or a female hawker of some kind (most likely southern, if there are already southern males present, although the small anti-humeral stripes suggest common hawker).

Attachments

• Kibblesworth 2 041.JPG
    Kibblesworth 2 041.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Kibblesworth 2 096.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 096.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Kibblesworth 2 097.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 097.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Kibblesworth 2 102.JPG
    Kibblesworth 2 102.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Kibblesworth 2 054.jpg
    Kibblesworth 2 054.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 154
There are still a few WL Hairstreaks around.The Purple Hairstreaks were mainly flying around near the tops of the oak trees but i managed to get reasonable views of 3 lower down on the trees resting on the leaves.

excellent I might try for them next week, if I don't see either of them it's no big loss I'm sure there'll be something about, the grayling was a first for me as was most of the dragonflies!

... as well as a mature female black tailed skimmer (I stand ready to be corrected here I am not confident with this one but I just thought it wasn't thin enough to be a black darter), what is likely to be a female common darter but had a bi of a tash so was wondering if it could be a vagrant darter (although the markings on the thorax do seem quite prominent) and finally a male southern hawker (I saw two of these fighting, the first one was very inquisitive) and an unknown I am unsure as to whether this is a female common darter (abdomen seems a little thick for this) or a female hawker of some kind (most likely southern, if there are already southern males present, although the small anti-humeral stripes suggest common hawker).
Hi Pete the first one is a old female Black-tailed Skimmer, the darters look like Common and the last one looks like another Common Darter..Apparently Common Hawkers are quite scarce in the Gateshead area Southern Hawkers are the commonest.

Last edited:
Hi Pete the first one is a old female Black-tailed Skimmer, the darters look like Common and the last one looks like another Common Darter..Apparently Common Hawkers are quite scarce in the Gateshead area Southern Hawkers are the commonest.

That's great I've not seen a bt skimmer before, glad i got that one right, I'm not sure how to tell vagrant skimmers yet. The hawker was really nice to see, they seem very intelligent insects. I wonder how smart the giant ones were millions of years ago.

That's great I've not seen a bt skimmer before, glad i got that one right, I'm not sure how to tell vagrant skimmers yet. The hawker was really nice to see, they seem very intelligent insects. I wonder how smart the giant ones were millions of years ago.
Hi Pete Vagrant Darter is a very rare migrant and most of them have been seen in southern England.

early morning walk through west pastures, lots of large whites 4s and 5s together.
red ads and this fritillary dont know what because of the cr.. poor pic.
i couldnt get it out of a grass shadow.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back