• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on good African bird guide needed. (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Hi everyone,

I've been seaching the market lately for a good, complete field guide to African birds, but I've found nothing promising. So I was hoping someone could suggest a few book titles. Oh, and while I'm on the subject, know any nice guides for Australia? Thanks!!

"Birds of Africa south of the Sahara" by Peter Ryan and Ian Sinclair

Is the only full Afro-tropical field guide, I also own "The Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania" Zimmerman; "Birds of Gambia and Senegal" Barlow, "Birds of Western Africa" Borrow & Demey, "Birds of Southern Africa"Sinclair, Hockey & Tarbolton (2 editions). If you are travelling to Africa then I would suggest you pick up the regional guide.

Try www.nhbs.com

David

I'll second David on those guides for Africa.An Australian guide you could look at is Birds of Australia by Ken Simpson & Nicolas Day(Princeton Field Guides).

david kelly said:

Is the only full Afro-tropical field guide, I also own "The Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania" Zimmerman; "Birds of Gambia and Senegal" Barlow, "Birds of Western Africa" Borrow & Demey, "Birds of Southern Africa"Sinclair, Hockey & Tarbolton (2 editions). If you are travelling to Africa then I would suggest you pick up the regional guide. David

The one that is missing on this list is "FG to the Birds of East Africa" by Stevenson and Fanshawe. It is, in my opinion, one of the most outstanding fieldguide books of the world.

As for Australia: use the search function on this forum. There have been extensive discussions.

Well, thanks very much everyone, all great recommendations. Now I'll do a bit of research on them to narrow down the possibilities. So, appreciate the help. Cheers.

the above-mentioned guide to east africa by stevenson, fanshawe is my favorite foreign field guide. the illustrations are beautiful, which descriptions and distribution maps set facing the plates. i also own the Zimmerman Kenya & N. Tanzania guide...which is nice, too. The Sasol Guide and Newman's guide to S. African birds are both decent...but i'd like to see on of the photographic guides to S. African birds.

I have the latest Newman's Birds of Southern Africa, which I find is excellent.

Talking about photographic guides there is one called " PHOTOGRAPHIC GUIDE BIRDS OF SOUTHERN AFRICA" by Ian Sinclaire, but I haven't seen it so I am not sure if it's any good. Judging by the details I have seen about it is not very comprehensive and only covers 256 rather common birds.

Taryn said:
Talking about photographic guides there is one called " PHOTOGRAPHIC GUIDE BIRDS OF SOUTHERN AFRICA" by Ian Sinclaire, but I haven't seen it so I am not sure if it's any good. Judging by the details I have seen about it is not very comprehensive and only covers 256 rather common birds.

It is 'nice' rather than really useful I would say, could be used as a supplement to either Newman or Sasol, but not (in my opinion) as a replacement. Newman okay, but prefer Sasol (but not seen new edition of Newman)

Taryn said:

There are two books.The one you mention is the "pocket"guide.Sinclair has done a complete photographic guide to Southern Africa called,"Field Guide,Birds of Southern Africa."(ISBN:1868255107 /Struik 1999)

david kelly said:

Is the only full Afro-tropical field guide.
It is useful as a reference book but too heavy yet not detailed enough for use as field guide. You really do need the regional guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back