• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed with shorebirds (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Are the first ones Sanderlings?
The single bird I'm not sure of-I don't want to guess on it but I do notice it has a slightly down-curved bill.-thanks for the help-

Attachments

• IMG_6136.JPG
    IMG_6136.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6139.JPG
    IMG_6139.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Thanks-I'm starting to catch on but-I think I need to pay more attention to the overall shape.The varying plumage is what's throwing me off.

I completely agree with Marcus, Larry. As you know though you're seeing winter plumage above and the Dunlin in particular is quite a lot different in summer with the bold black on it's belly but in winter looks a totally different Bird. Have a look in your book and you'll see. It's always a blighter in winter with waders, but keep at it as the more you do the more you learn. I've a long way to go too!

Good luck,

Sue.

Thanks-I'm starting to catch on but-I think I need to pay more attention to the overall shape.The varying plumage is what's throwing me off.

Waders are a tricky bunch to work out, especially as you also have lots of peeps in the US. If you learn the Dunlin it will help as you go forwards in identifying the other species.

Sanderling and Dunlin for me too....

I was looking at the second one and just wondering if there may be something Curlew Sandpiper about it but for one it would be a rarity in that area and secondly a few things including the fairly noticable breast streaking make it a Dunlin for sure.

Cheers,
Doug

Sanderling and Dunlin for me too....

I was looking at the second one and just wondering if there may be something Curlew Sandpiper about it but for one it would be a rarity in that area and secondly a few things including the fairly noticable breast streaking make it a Dunlin for sure.

American 'Hudsonian' Dunlin are longer-billed than European breeding birds

Thanks-all-I'm actually going to dig up the shorebird guide that I bought months ago but have completely ignored up until now.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back