• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shorebirds ID guide (1 Viewer)

'Shorebirds: An Identification Guide to the Waders of the World', Hayman, Marchant & Prater.
'Waders of Europe, Asia and North America', Message & Taylor

The specialized shorebird guide which I have is, "Shorebirds, an Identification Guide", by Hayman, Marchant and Prater. It seems to be very complete and detailed.

Shorebirds of North America, Europe, and Asia by Message & Taylor. I've really found this a great help in the six months I've had the book.
I'll second foxsparrow on The Shorebird Guide by O'Brien, Crossley, and Karlson. I've found it very good.

I've got all the books mentioned thus far, and by far my favorite is The Shorebird Guide by O'Brien, Crossley, and Karlson. I don't regret getting any of the others, but if I could only have one, it would be The Shorebird Guide.
A little while back Rick Wright reviewed it on his site - www.birdaz.com/blog. Fantastic review, and described very well how I felt about the book as well. On his site, clike the "Book Reviews" link, and you should be able to find it.

Larry Lade said:
The specialized shorebird guide which I have is, "Shorebirds, an Identification Guide", by Hayman, Marchant and Prater. It seems to be very complete and detailed.
I'll second that Larry, a great book which has helped me tremendously,whaw and do I need it!!!

Shorebirds of North America-The Photographic Guide by Dennis Poulson is excellent. It is a Hem publication 2005.

The book is packed with great photos and background info on each bird.

I recommend it.

Cheers Dean.

I'll join Hannu, Mark, and jedigrant in recommending "The Shorebird Guide" by O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson. An excellent book!

Ended up with O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson. The learning pictures were a bit tricky, I did not know first there were answers in the back.

Kenbell said:
Does anyone know if a reprint of the Hayman, Marchant book is being planned?

Dunno if there's a re-print planned, but you can pick them up (new and used) on Amazon.co.uk fairly regularly, so its worth having a look regularly.
I picked up a new, old stock copy last week for 25 quid.

Does "The Shorebird Guide" by O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson, cover all of the world's species, or is just for the shorebirds of North America?

Tom

Last edited:
tomjenner said:
Does "The Shorebird Guide" by O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson, cover all of the world's species, or is just for the shorebirds of North America?

Tom

Hi Tom,

The Shorebird Guide covers just those species which have occurred in North America north of Mexico, but that includes ones that have simply occurred as vagrants too. While not globally comprehensive, the methodology behind the guide makes it a worthwhile investment.

Chris
currently in Belize

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back