• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troublesome Birds - Jamaica - SORTED (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Looked in horror at this page :eek!: but nearly all sorted:

'black-billed' - occurring between Flamingo and Wigeon (can't find either)
Hudsonian Whimbrel - Whimbrel or Hudsonian Curlew
Jamaican Band-tailed Pigeon - Patagioenas fasciata - Band-tailed or (presumably) Patagioenas caribaea - Ring-tailed

D

Last edited:
'black-billed' - occurring between Flamingo and Wigeon (can't find either): Searching for Black-billed in the Avibase checklist finds a magpie, a streamertail, a cuckoo, and a parrot. Any of these missing? and Wigeon is American Wigeon while flamingo is Caribbean Flamingo Phoenicopterus ruber.

Hudsonian Whimbrel - Whimbrel or Hudsonian Curlew: like before, this must be the hudsonicus race of whimbrel

Jamaican Band-tailed Pigeon - Patagioenas fasciata - Band-tailed or (presumably) Patagioenas caribaea - Ring-tailed: Ring-tailed Pigeon Patagioenas caribaea Endemic Vulnerable

Stripe-headed Tanager - Western Spindalis or Puerto Rican Spindalis?: Jamaican Spindalis Spindalis nigricephala

Arrow-headed Warbler - can't find on Avibase: Arrow-headed Warbler Dendroica pharetra Endemic which is Arrowhead Warbler in Opus

Cheers
Niels

Thanks Niels:t:

All done apart from the 'black-billed'.

Not very good at this:gh: , but what species would come between Flamingo and Wigeon in an ordered Check-list?

D

That can vary a little dependent on which authority, but for example here is the list from Avibase for Jamaica:
Caribbean Flamingo Phoenicopterus ruber Rare/Accidental

ANSERIFORMES: Anatidae

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor Rare/Accidental
West Indian Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna arborea Vulnerable
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis Rare/Accidental
Snow Goose Chen caerulescens Rare/Accidental
Canada Goose Branta canadensis Rare/Accidental
Orinoco Goose Neochen jubata Rare/Accidental Near-threatened
Wood Duck Aix sponsa Rare/Accidental
American Wigeon Anas americana Rare/Accidental

Could it be Black-bellied?

Niels

Thanks Niels

Black-bellied Whistling Duck was missing from the list, so I've changed it to that.

D

Delia,
I've had a go at the check list, but there are still a few things to correct. I've been to Jamaica and have a field guide to help me. Also, the separate page on the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary is mine, so I'll work on getting them both up to date.

Before I really get down to the editing I thought I'd ask for a couple of guidelines.

With the checklist, should I amend the list to reflect the most common birds likely to be found, and delete the birds which are listed as rare/accidental in the Avibase list for Jamaica? I think the information that Steve used for the original Jamaica page was probably from an out of date source.

Names: for instance, I feel that Grey Plover should be changed to Black-bellied Plover which is the name for Pluvialis squatarola which we use in the New World. Also, Sand Martin is Bank Swallow over here. Perhaps the Old World names could be retained in parentheses.

Let me know what you think, or what is being done with other page revisions.

Thanks

Last edited:
Names: for instance, I feel that Grey Plover should be changed to Black-bellied Plover which is the name for Pluvialis squatarola which we use in the New World. Also, Sand Martin is Bank Swallow over here. Perhaps the Old World names could be retained in parentheses.

Let me know what you think, or what is being done with other page revisions.

Thanks

I've been using the vertical bar in links for these kinds of things. For instance, the reference [[Great Grey Owl|Great Gray Owl]] in my California entry preserves American spelling but directs to the correct opus page.

With the checklist, should I amend the list to reflect the most common birds likely to be found, and delete the birds which are listed as rare/accidental in the Avibase list for Jamaica? I think the information that Steve used for the original Jamaica page was probably from an out of date source.

We discussed this sort of thing recently somewhere in the Locations Discussion thread.

I think, the concensus was that rare birds should only appear in the Rarities section and not in the Check-list, which should only really include 'birds likely to be seen'

Black-bellied Plover already has a Re-direct set up, so you can certainly use that (as have a lot of species already).

I suggest you use the local names in your article, then use preview to check if they're connected. If not, either do a Re-direct or use Jt's solution.

As for the likes of Grey/Gray Coloured/Colored: a lot of these too, have been re-directed, also many of the misplaced/missing hyphens.

With Re-directs, you just need to be careful that you don't send the likes of 'Robin' to your American Robin:-O (I did this with our European one:eek!: ). This is where you need to use Jt's solution, or write the species name out in full in the text.

HTHs Helen

D

I really would like to see JT's solution used quite liberally. One advantage would be the possibility of writing [[Grey Plover|Grey Plover/Black-bellied Plover]] in the link which should then produce the text "Grey Plover/Black-bellied Plover" in the Entry. This has the advantage of the US birder not being too surprised by being taken to the Grey Plover page if clicking, and it has the advantage of the European birder planning a visit being able to see right away that this is a familiar species to him/her as well.

Niels

Thanks for the guidelines, everyone. I'll work on the Jamaica page offline over the next few days, but you might not see any results online till after next Monday, as we have the 3 day Labor Day weekend holiday here this weekend.

Ok, I finished the Bird List a week or so ago - completely revised and every one linking to the right page in Opus.

I've been researching birding hotspots in Jamaica and will revise the rest of the text in due course.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back