• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

compositionally, it looks like several pictures pasted together.

|:$| It was Nick - I was trying to work out a composition from several different field sketches but failed abysmally! There .... have cropped it! (looks better, thanks ;) ) Been trying for months to come up with a decent idea for an HG painting, won't even think about posting the other attempts!

You've captured that sense of freedom that just goes hand in hand with gulls, ah, can't wait to be back in Wales for a few days, I miss the sound of gulls more than anything!

I am impressed Deborah. I particularly like the duck with the pointy tail.
Not sure about the last one you have posted. You`re not on the recreational chemicals are you ? LOL

Its a good one deb, I think you've captured that real bouyant feel
that gulls have on a slightly breezey day and this one looks like
its passing fast down wind to the viewer.
my only point would have been to put it in a landscape format
with lots of space infront of the gull.

but thats just my take on it :t:

Great stuff Deborah, have just read through your thread, a collection of varied and lively work you have here, never seen a more exciting sleeping mallard, great use of colour, I could go on but I think it's all been said. Well done, keep 'em coming.

Thanks Mouldy - I know everyone has different tastes but if you like the mallard, you may like this too ..

Andy: Thanks for the advice, it's trying to find a way to incorporate fieldsketches into habitat for more complete compositions ... I struggle!

Love the colours on this one, Deb ..are you able to post up your Ring Ouzal?

Matt

I've tried to re-scan it to a larger size Matt but the original was very small to start with and doesn't look v.good at all ... have a quick scribble of Traff instead (done yesterday when he was pretending to be asleep but watching me eat my dinner)

Attachments

• trafford.JPG
    trafford.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 87
excellent sketch of Traff, stronglines and immense character. As for putting the birds in habitat, habitat should be sketched at the same time as the bird (or if you want to cheat as I often do - take a photo of where the bird was and sketch from that, working out what you're going to put and where, then put the photo away before starting the painting).

Lovely work I especially like your gull studies. Your colours are much stronger than mine . Are you using pencils or crayons or something else with the watercolour. I like the watersoluble crayons, they do give stronger colours than the pencils but don't use them alot.

I've tried to re-scan it to a larger size Matt but the original was very small to start with and doesn't look v.good at all ... have a quick scribble of Traff instead (done yesterday when he was pretending to be asleep but watching me eat my dinner)

LOL

I know that expression all too well ..and don't they make you feel guilty for every mouthful!

It's a lovely little sketch D, a nice snapshot of the ''moment'' ..made me smile!

Matt

Last edited:
I've seen this one before haven't I? Pretty sure it was in the gallery. I love the boldness of it, no need for landscape here, excellent use of colour.

Another ''signature'' piece..

You seem to be able to control the watercolours very well, do you paint them in one sitting or wait for some colours to dry before adding the next to stop them running into each other?

...or is that considered cheating;)

Matt

Apologies Nick & Matt but I've removed the last few pics, they really weren't that good, tbh I need lots more practice at drawing birds I think before I can keep the thread supplied with decent paintings and sketches and there's still a quantum leap from my fieldnotes to the easel so to speak! I shall continue to enjoy other peoples work though ;)

Oh no! Rule one - the artist is not allowed to like their own work and must always hate. Rule two, we like your pictures very much so please put them back!

Of course, Deborah, you must do as you wish, if you feel there is a lot of improvement to make, this is good, no matter what level an artist reaches, there is always something new to learn and improvements to make. However, the fact we all have imporvements to make does not mean that your work is not up to 'standard', that egret to me is a sublime piece that inspired me the first time I saw it and inspired me again when it put in its fleeting visit. (I'll keep twitching the thread for it and hope it'll be relocated! :) )

She can remove them if she wants cos the next ones will be even better.:t:

LOL!

Seriously though, and especially Nick who's been incredibly supportive, I'm not actually trying to be an 'artist' - I gave up any idea of that many years ago when I realised it's something you must do and do and do to get even close to that definition, regardless of one's skills/ability! It's also a state of being that requires a passion. I don't have that! All my passion when into conservation and enviromentalism to help protect the very source of my inspiration in the first place and more latterly, birdwatching. In truth, the word ''artist'' makes me cringe if it's applied to me! All I do is paint and draw from time to time if I'm in the mood - which is not very often. I couldn't even call it a serious hobby compared to the effort I put into birdwatching! I do enjoy dabbling from time to time for my own pleasure, but nothing like with the serious intent that others do on this Forum. It's a little embarrasing to have these attempts referred to as ''work'' along with the real work going on elsewhere on the Forum. 'Work' implies for me, really something you do if you're an artist or take any creative pursuit seriously with the intent of continuously stretching yourself. IMO, you need the output for that and for the output, you need passion. I have neither. So in short, it all seems a bit fraudulent!!

Having said all that, I will post up something if i think people might like it (which might be better than the previous attempts, Joanne ;) ) - I've actually done quite a lot of posters/cards etc for charity events but I don't think they'd appeal on a Fine Art Forum. Anyway, please don't hold your breath for daily sketch books, works of 'art', or passionate discussions about my non-existant ''work'' :-O

My biggest joy on this Forum is seeing other peoples work, and I think that's what I prefer to look at!

(It's all Tim's fault for showing me his stunning work and it's inter-connectedness to the beautiful location of Orkney - he inadvertently huffed and puffed on a little flame that by rights, is better to be left flickering gently in the background - and then along comes Nick with his work and more fuel is added!)

Apologies for the long post, didn't want people to think I'm being ungrateful or unappreciative, just thought I'd explain my take on it - if I have an Epiphany, I'll let you know!!

Ps. I dropped out of Art College after one Foundation Year - I really was c*ap in those days ;)

Last edited:
I've actually done quite a lot of posters/cards etc for charity events but I don't think they'd appeal on a Fine Art Forum.

Deborah

Despite the fact that there are some disgustingly talented;) people on this forum, it is not a ''fine art'' forum ..I think of it more as a meeting place for people who paint with varying styles, techniques, aproaches and abilities. I've never once senced any discouraging remarks on this part of the forum regarding other peoples work and ideas and that is what make it so enjoyable ..for those who paint and those who don't.

It's at least important that you recognize the fact that your Dipper and Pintail alone are genuinely bloody good little paintings and something to be proud of.

Come back to this thread and post something as and when you feel comfortable to ..in the meantime just have fun with it!!

Matt

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Deborah, I am one of those very impressed by your work. I really think it's excellent and I'd love to see more.
My views on art are, as long as you're enjoying what you do then that's the most important thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back