• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray with rusty crown - Colorado (1 Viewer)

oneheartflies

Date is 11/18/2017 Southern Colorado

I live in Southeastern Colorado on the prairie (high desert at about 4500 ft) and in my backyard, on the ground, I saw for the first time a pair of light gray birds with a rusty orange crown and rusty orange under the tail. He was a little bigger and plumper than a robin with a longish tail. He had a white upper chest then brownish streaks on his belly. His beak was short.

Unfortunately I didn't think to get a photo (I will next time, if he comes back) but was able to watch a pair for a few minutes. I can't find this description in my bird books, which focus on Colorado birds and Western birds.

I'm a member of Feeder Watch and e-bird, so I hope to add him to a list, if possible.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks!

I had towhee as a possibility, but my book photos just weren't enough. I googled Canyon Towhee and sure enough that 's him!

I appreciate both speedy replies! Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back