• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar S2 pricing, US v. EU (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Just looking at the prices of these, and wondering why a Czech-made scope is 500 dollars cheaper in the US than it is in Europe? The same doesn't apply to, for example, Zen-Ray or Vortex optics, which are more expensive in EU. It might actually be cheaper to buy the Meopta from the US, even with import duties and shipping added. I'm not complaining, as I'm not planning to buy one anytime soon, I'm just wondering.

Is it possible that the S2 is actually made in the Meopta US facility for the US market? That would cut import duty and freight from the cost but...

The price that Marchwood advertise in the UK is £1699 - about $2300 excluding VAT. Adorama lists it for $2199...

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/viewProduct.asp?pid=1021

http://www.adorama.com/ME543240.html

Pete

Hi Pete. I'm getting an exchange rate of 2770 dollars for the 1700 sterling Cleyspy charge for this scope, with the 30-60x ep (1 sterling=1.63 dollars). US prices are around 2200 dollars, as you say. But US websites tout the S2 as being 'European-made'. (If you guys can produce something similar, I'll be first in line, don 't care if it's made on Mars;)).

Last edited:
That 2770 has 20% sales tax/VAT included - US online sellers don't include state sales tax in their pricing.

Would need a closer source to Meopta to confirm the provenance of the S2 for US customers - I just wondered given that they have a US facility.

Like I said elsewhere, we had some fun doing shopping at Photokina so you never know what might be born of the Opticron stable these next couple of years :)

Pete

Hmm, that is now two little hints I noticed in reference to new products. How long do we have to wait until you spill the beans? ;)

That 2770 has 20% sales tax/VAT included - US online sellers don't include state sales tax in their pricing.

Would need a closer source to Meopta to confirm the provenance of the S2 for US customers - I just wondered given that they have a US facility.

Like I said elsewhere, we had some fun doing shopping at Photokina so you never know what might be born of the Opticron stable these next couple of years :)

Pete

On the tripod foot of my S2 it states "Made in Czech Republic." It also came with a QC sign-off sheet that has eastern Europe written all over it. A couple rubber stamps and serial numbers handwritten European style.

So far in the states we mostly get away without paying sales tax on out of state purchases, but things may change.

I think many of the new Meopta binoculars are "assembled in America." Whatever that actually, legally, entails I don't know.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back