• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B1 vs Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Has anyone, by chance, been able to compare the Maven B1 series with the Conquest HD? My girlfriend is still looking for a pair of good quality binoculars and the Conquest is kind of the ideal base default recommendation, but I know Maven has a strong following so I figured I'd ask if anyone's compared these models.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by a moderator:
Title says B1 (42mm), body says B2 (45mm A-K), and in the past you've said she's looking for a 32mm (B3 = 30mm). Which is it? Also, which size Conquest HD? Both brands are a little light on FOV in the full size models compared to the competition, but the 30/32mm versions have a full 8°+ in 8x. I'd consider the Maven demo program in your situation.

Title says B1 (42mm), body says B2 (45mm A-K), and in the past you've said she's looking for a 32mm (B3 = 30mm). Which is it? Also, which size Conquest HD? Both brands are a little light on FOV in the full size models compared to the competition, but the 30/32mm versions have a full 8°+ in 8x. I'd consider the Maven demo program in your situation.

Apologies, I meant B1, my phone autocorrected to B2. This would be a comparison of the 42mm models, I don't believe the B1 has a 32mm.

She mostly wants a 32mm but has been having issues finding one that works great for her. It would also act as my backup pair.

Justin

Apologies, I meant B1, my phone autocorrected to B2. This would be a comparison of the 42mm models, I don't believe the B1 has a 32mm.

She mostly wants a 32mm but has been having issues finding one that works great for her. It would also act as my backup pair.

Justin

Last year I was looking for a mid-range 8x32 and ended up with the Kowa Genesis. I am happy with the Genesis, but if I had a chance to do-over I would have given more consideration to the 8x32 Zeiss Conquest and the 8x42 Nikon Monarch HG. The MHG is so small and lightweight for a 42mm that it feels much like the 33mm Kowa in hand.

Sorry that doesn't help with the original question about Maven.

The difference between the Maven B1 and the Conquest will come down to brand preferences and user ergonomics. If she wants a 30 mm,. get the B3. It is a miniature B1 and you won't beat it for the $500.

I think if I was buying an 8x42 for a woman especially I would go with 18000bph's suggestion and get the Nikon 8x42 Monarch MHG at the mid-range price point. The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 and Maven B1 8x42 are both 28-29 oz and only have a 384 and 388 foot FOV. The Nikon MHG is 23.5 oz. and has a 435 foot FOV and is much smaller and more compact for a 42mm and will fit smaller hands better. I think your girlfriend would appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight and the bigger FOV. It is like having the weight and size advantages of a 32mm with the low light performance of a 42mm. Of if she likes the Zeiss Conquest HD I would let her try the 8x32 HD. It is only 22oz. with a 420 foot FOV. Let her try them herself because everbodies eyes are different. Here is also a less expensive option for $519.00 on Ebay a Vortex Viper HD 8x32 which has been discontinued but was MIJ and was an excellent smaller 32mm binocular and this one looks in excellent shape. It weighs 20.5 oz. and has a 400 foot FOV. If you want the Vortex you had better jump on it because you don't see those for sale too often anymore!

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Monarc...narch+HG+8x42&qid=1559096411&s=gateway&sr=8-3
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892051-REG/Zeiss_523211_8x32_Conquest_HD_Binocular.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Vip...926362?hash=item340b6bfeda:g:obkAAOSw5Ohc6e5t

Attachments

• 71O7q-KmpvL._SL1500_.jpg
    71O7q-KmpvL._SL1500_.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 1487715749000_892051.jpg
    1487715749000_892051.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 37
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I've got the 8X42 B.1 and the 10X42 Conquest HD. I haven't done a lot of comparing between these two mainly because of the difference in magnifications. BUT....I put each on the digital scale...28oz CHD and 29oz for the B.1. The Maven is slightly longer than the CHD and the CHD is slightly bulkier. FOV....I'll round both to 390ft which is exactly what a 8X42 UVHD+ is. Personally I think that's fine. I've never had any problems birding whatsoever with the UVHD+ or the B.1 or one of the Vanguard Endeavors with a FOV slightly less. Focus adjustment....the B.1s is definitely better with the samples I have. Feels more refined, smoother, and zero slack. The CHD has that "notch" in the focus. It's not really inhibitory but it's there. Build quality...I'll give that to the Maven. It looks and feels like a more expensive binocular and it IS more expensive. It will probably cost you around $130 more for a B.1...you'll have to purchase a case for it. Of course both are optically excellent. I've never wished for better optics with either to be honest. If price isn't a concern I'd probably go with the Maven believe it or not.

Now if you are thinking 8X32s, the 8X32 Conquest HD is a GEM. I really like it!

I think the Monarch HG is a good recommendation too!

So you have the UVHD 7X42 and the Endeavor ED IV....what does she think of those?

If you want to see a picture of any of the above, LMK....I'll try to get one before work tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 285
You can ask this question 'til the cows come home, and you'll never get a consensus because there is no substitute for personal observation, as well all know. Ergos play as big a part in the equation as optics. I don't get along with the Conquest HD because of the inferior eyecups, and the Maven because they feel too big and bulky, to me. I'd take the Toric UHD every time and it's an easy choice, for me. Doug at Camerland had some GPO HD's for $750 or so and that is a steal as well for such a high quality glass.

"You can ask this question 'til the cows come home, and you'll never get a consensus because there is no substitute for personal observation, as well all know. Ergos play as big a part in the equation as optics."

Your totally right on this jgraider. These "What is best?" threads are kind of a waste of time because everybodies eyes are different and everybodies priorities are different. I like a bright, neutral color bias binocular with sharp edges but somebody else might not care about brightness or sharp edges. It is like trying to tell somebody who should they should marry! Impossible. Just like the EDG thread above. Everybody pointed out the problem areas and weak points of the EDG but he still bought an EDG because THAT is what he wanted and he didn't care about the issues that were pointed out. With most people you are not going to change or make up their mind for them. I think most people who start these threads have their mind made up already what they want before starting the thread and they just want confirmation of their choice. All you can do is present them with some good choices in their price point and let them choose. Kind of like that show on TV the Bachelorette. Give them some good candidates and them let them take them for a test drive, kiss them a few times and see if they make a connection. Then have a "Rose Ceremony" to see which binocular makes the cut. In the end MAYBE you will get an engagement or possibly a marriage!

Last edited:
You can ask this question 'til the cows come home, and you'll never get a consensus because there is no substitute for personal observation, as well all know.
Oh I certainly realize this - I think I've owned and sold like 15 pairs of binoculars at various price points. The big reason I asked this was that the Maven is not something easily testable outside of the demo option, so I was mostly asking for just general opinions, as I've not seen these compared much despite similar specifications, price, etc.

Justin

You're an optics junkie like me Justin. Not only to I appreciate it, I applaud it! I'm always on the search for a killer view at a killer price. Pretty sure my next purchase will be a bino/rf unit, and not a Leica.

Oh I certainly realize this - I think I've owned and sold like 15 pairs of binoculars at various price points. The big reason I asked this was that the Maven is not something easily testable outside of the demo option, so I was mostly asking for just general opinions, as I've not seen these compared much despite similar specifications, price, etc.

Justin
15 pairs! Is that all? I have probably had over 100 pairs at least over the last ten years. I have 9 pair right now. SV 8.5x42, SV 8x32, SV 10x32, Habicht 10x40 W, Habicht 8x30 W, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P, Nikon 8x30 EII, Leica Ultravid 8x20 and the Nikon Micron 7x15 Reverse Porro.

I think your best bet is to use the Maven demo program. Little cost and you'll know for certain how you feel about them. Conquest is popular enough you should be able to find it at a local retail.

CG

Justin

What could be better than the demo option? Thirty days with no obligation to buy if you don’t like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back