• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

M. C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode in Chalcopsitta duivenbodei (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I know that this matter were discussed on Bird Forum last year, on an old (now closed) thread. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=236163&highlight=Duivenbode

In any case: Here´s the Type description of Chalcopsitta duivenbodei (Chalcopsittacus Duivenbodei) DUBOIS 1884.

Dubois, A. 1884. Description d’un Échidné et d’un Perroquet inédits de la Nouvelle-Guinée. Bulletin du Musée Royal d’Histoire Naturelle de Belgique/Mededeelingen van het Korinklijk Natuurhistorisch Museum van België 3: 109-114 (Plate 5).

The article start with:

Il y a quelques mois, M. C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode envoya á notre Musée, á titre de don, une magnifique collection de mammifières et d’oisseaux de la Nouvelle-Guinée. ...
"M. C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode". The first "M." = Monsieur (Mr.). Is there anything else mentioned about him? No matter how small! Does any reader of Bird Forum with a better knowledge of language than mine feel like having a go at translating it?

Due to the maximum of five attached files in this forum, I have left out page 110 and 111 (it´s all about a newly discovered Echidna).

Original Work accessible at: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/120879#page/127/mode/1up

Attachments

• bulletindumusero31884inst_0127.jpg
    bulletindumusero31884inst_0127.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 91
  • bulletindumusero31884inst_0130.jpg
    bulletindumusero31884inst_0130.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 72
  • bulletindumusero31884inst_0131.jpg
    bulletindumusero31884inst_0131.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 80
  • bulletindumusero31884inst_0132.jpg
    bulletindumusero31884inst_0132.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 69
  • bulletindumusero31884inst_0137.jpg
    bulletindumusero31884inst_0137.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 86
Further to Richards statement: if it was important to have the additional two pages, then reply to your own post, hit go advanced, and you can attach another 5 files to the next post.

Niels

Richard, I did tick the necessary box mentioned but my reply sure bounced back. Tvice! The same has happened several times with many other older threads that I´ve tried. That´s why I felt like I had to start a brand new thread ... on an old subject.

Sorry if this makes a mess. Next time I´ll try again ... the proper way.

van Duivenbode is mentioned three times.

Il y a quelques mois, M. C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode envoya à notre Musée, à titre de don, une magnifique collection de mammifères et d'oiseaux de la Nouvelle-Guinée.
"A few months ago, Mr C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode sent our Museum a wonderful collection of mammals and birds of New Guinea as a gift."

L'animal étant encore jeune, j'ai pensé un instant que cette différence dans le poil n'était qu'une question d'âge ; mais M. van Duivenbode m'écrit qu'il possède de l'A. Bruynii un spécimen de même taille que celui qu'il vient d'envoyer au Musée, et qui offre déjà tous les caractères de l'adulte.
Dubois says Mr van Duivenbode has a specimen of A. Bruynii.

La seconde espèce qui fait l'objet de cette notice, je propose de la dédier à M. van Duivenbode de qui nous la tenons, et de l'appeler : CHALCOPSITTACUS DUIVENBODEI
"The second species subject of this note, I propose to dedicate it to Mr van Duivenbode who gave it to us." There certainly is a better way to translate this last part, but the idea is that Chalcopsittacus duivenbodei is dedicated to C. W. R. van Duivenbode.

Constantijn Willem Rudolf van Renesse van Duivenbode (b. 1858) Dutch merchant of Ternate in the Moluccas, Director of the Dutch East India Co.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back