• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Kowa TSN4 (1 Viewer)

jimb

I have just bought a Kowa TSN4 with the Opticron 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I am wanting to take photos of colour-ringed waders and gulls, what is the best camera option please and do I need an adapter?. Thank you.

Many thanks for your replies, Paul and Pete. The Opticron Smartphone mount looks a good option.

One question for Pete please. The 20-60 zoom lens is the HDF version, would I see any appreciable improvement with a SDL v2 zoom?. Obviously as the TSN4 is a 77mm scope, the magnification on both will be 18-54 rather than 20-60.

Hi Jim,

the main differences between HDF and SDLv2 zoom are waterproofing and field flattening in the SDL. Waterproofing is sure nice, but the TSN-4 is not waterproof either, so you want be careful with it regardless of the eyepiece.
As for field flattening - in my opinion it's mainly interesting for visual observation (and even then not everybodies cup of tea) - when digiscoping you put the bird in the center and lack of sharpness at the edge is not an issue (especially as you'll probably crop anyways).

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Many thanks for explaining the difference between the two zoom eyepieces. The scope will be mainly used in a hide at a local nature reserve so I will stick with the HDF for the time being as waterproofing is not an issue.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Jim

The Baader Hyperion zoom would be another excellent choice for the tsn4,(Google tsn4/Baader,I think there is some YouTube demonstratión)..I use It on the kowa 823 ,and the wide angle views are excellent .I dont care much for the narrow views of standard zooms at most of their range,but the Baader offers a serious improvement.The opticron adapter looks like an excellent design

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back