• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Today's highlights,
Water Pipit at Tucan,
S E Owl and Hawfinch at Son Real,
Green and Common Sand plus Yellow wagtail Depuadora
Steve.

Thanks Mike, sat still for a good 5 minutes so manage some decent shots.
Black N. Grebe at Tucan today,
also Grey plover, 6 Greenshanks, 2 Spotted reds at Albuferata.
Balearic warbler, 20 +Black redstarts, pair of Blue Rock Thrush at Boyer.

Steve.

Went to Colonia Sant Jordi hoping to find some elusive wader but the wind and waves would have flushed out the hardiest of birds. Still, there were some 25 Golden plovers on Na Llarga and a single Turnstone on the nearby rocks.
In Ses Salines, nothing much to report, a dozen or so BW stilts, common sandpiper, and Dunlin, Audouin and YL gulls, Shelducks and a water pipit.
At Salobrar a bit more activity with 7 Booted eagles together over the pine forest, a couple Red kites and about 8 M Harriers. About 150 Avocets were scattered in several groups and several flocks of Kentish plovers flying by. A single black-tailed Godwit was hiding among the avocets. A distant flock of large waders quickly disappeared in a far field (Curlews? 8 to 12). About 10 or so Common swifts, many more House Martins and a couple Barn swallows. A nice Reed bunting closed the show.
Quite a bit of water up Eddies track, wellies are essential.

Attachments

• _D1_9274.jpg
    _D1_9274.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 48
  • _D1_9102.jpg
    _D1_9102.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 31
  • _D1_9173.jpg
    _D1_9173.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 60
  • _D1_9327.jpg
    _D1_9327.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 56
I waded down Eddie’s track this morning. The first bird I focused on was a spanking male Hen Harrier. One of those birds which makes all my hair stand on end.
About 80 newly arrived Common Swift, a dozen or so House Martins but no Barn swallows sadly.
I didn’t see the Godwit but there were a few groups of Avocet and some Flamingoes.
Lots of Marsh Harrier in the air, well above average numbers of Booted eagles, about twelve in all, surely not all local birds? Red kite too.
A lovely sunny morning with spring in the air, things will hot up soon. Mike

Back in the very cold, wet and grey Switzerland.

Enjoy your Spring..Bah

A few reminders attached

I be back soon!

Attachments

• 9FD4BC87-5B46-4F86-92D6-D866EED03AEB.jpg
    9FD4BC87-5B46-4F86-92D6-D866EED03AEB.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 66B50365-0972-4889-9E07-CB620BB15C35.jpeg
    66B50365-0972-4889-9E07-CB620BB15C35.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DD508274-3A36-4519-967F-E5DF9E2A00C0.jpeg
    DD508274-3A36-4519-967F-E5DF9E2A00C0.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 1B07E712-E837-4544-9F78-6EBA324CA5B2.jpeg
    1B07E712-E837-4544-9F78-6EBA324CA5B2.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 39
  • A420499B-94AA-4037-8122-74FCCEB34799.jpeg
    A420499B-94AA-4037-8122-74FCCEB34799.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Spring definitely on the way,
Salbufera today, 2 Temmincks and 3 Little Stints, Lots of Greenshanks and Spotted Reds, Dunlin and Common Sands.
Steve.

I forgot to say that there is a path from Eddie’s track at Salobrar de Campos which is very good for Bluethroat. I saw a chat in typical stance there today, with cocked tail and dropping wings, and have just uploaded the photos. It was indeed a Bluethroat but is probably the worst photo ever taken of one, only just identifiable. Mike

At least one Alpine Swift & one Red Rumped Swallow amongst the many Hirundines feasting over The Albufereta this PM.
LUMIX camera battery and lens cloth found on path into Albufera.
Handed into information centre.

Bob

Attachments

• 2B41E558-C25F-48A6-9967-F32490FABE23.jpg
    2B41E558-C25F-48A6-9967-F32490FABE23.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 52
Quiet morning at Albeccuix apart from Alpine Accentor and Balearic Warbler,
No sign of Temmincks or Little Stint at salbufera but Grey Plover, Male Black Redstarts Great white Egrets, Night Herons and plenty of chiffchaff and Willow Warblers.
Steve.

Jane and I attended the book launch in Palma tonight. It was a very slick and professional presentation by Maties, Pep and Sebastian.
The book, Birds of Mallorca, is brilliant and I believe just what most birders will want with all the important species listed together with super photos and distribution maps.
Sadly, it will not be available in English for some months but as soon as it is ready, I will post further details here.
Mike

Jane and I attended the book launch in Palma tonight. It was a very slick and professional presentation by Maties, Pep and Sebastian.
The book, Birds of Mallorca, is brilliant and I believe just what most birders will want with all the important species listed together with super photos and distribution maps.
Sadly, it will not be available in English for some months but as soon as it is ready, I will post further details here.
Mike

Mike, Thank you for your nice words; we will translate the book to english and deustch and print the new edition as soon as possible.
We enjoyed also the presence of Joan Mayol, introducing the book with with us.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-03-08 at 23.30.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-03-08 at 23.30.46.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I forgot to say that there is a path from Eddie’s track at Salobrar de Campos which is very good for Bluethroat. I saw a chat in typical stance there today, with cocked tail and dropping wings, and have just uploaded the photos. It was indeed a Bluethroat but is probably the worst photo ever taken of one, only just identifiable. Mike

Hi Mike, What path are you referring to? I would love to connect with a bluethroat here, I have always missed them at the Depuradora, probably not knowing where to look. Thanks.

Son Real,
Not too bad today with 4 Hawfinch, 3 Stone Curlew over, Cirl Buntings, Serin, showing well and 2 Balearic Warblers.
Depuadora had 3 Green Sands, 1 common.
Steve.

Hi Patrick
If you park at the hotel fontsanta, walk down Eddies Track past the fields, the path turns sharp left where the first pool is ahead of you.
Then follow the path round to the right which is deep underwater at the moment.
After a short walk straight down towards the refuge hut, there is a metal gate on the left hand side. You can look straight down the track by looking over the gate.
I always call it the Bluethroat track because Philip and I have had so many sightings there.
I must say I was surprised to see it, they are much more numerous in the autumn than spring. The depuradora at Albufera can hold double figures but they are mostly gone by Christmas.
Let me know if you are going to Salobrar and hopefully I will be able to join you.
Mike

Formentor view point 0800 three Alpine Accentor but very flighty in the cold blustery wind.
Two Greenshank two Little Ringed Plover dozen Kentish Plover & Yellow Wagtail at mouth of smelly river Albufereta.
Quick look in La Gola pm two Cattle Egret ,Male & Female Black Redstart.
Count of ten Sandwich Terns on rocky breakwaters also pm in Pollensa Bay.

Bob

Bocquer today,
Alpine Accentor, Ring Ouzel, good numbers of Blake Redstarts and a pair of Booted Eagles.
Steve.

Thanks Mike, I know exactly where you mean. Where was a car parked there the other day with someone checking the contents of the nets they put across the ditches. Will keep my eyes open next time and will let you know when I go next.

Well, what started of as just a normal day turned out different.
I drove around the back road of the Albuferata from the main alcudia p. Pollenca road taking the Pollenca turning and then turning left, dumped the car and started walking back the way I came
, after seeing G. W. Egret, Cattle Egret and Grey Heron I stopped by the concrete culvert watching Green and Common Sand when I heard something, I presumed was a dog or cat jump off the wall behind me, turned round and a COATI ran not 3 meters away from me, across the culvert and out of sight.
Shocked or what!
Think the local authorities need informing.
Steve.

I heard something, I presumed was a dog or cat jump off the wall behind me, turned round and a COATI ran not 3 meters away from me, across the culvert and out of sight.
Shocked or what!
Think the local authorities need informing.
Steve.

What Is a COATI Steve ? Excuse my Ignorance.I stayed along that road on holiday a year and a half ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back