• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (2 Viewers)

this is my latest scribbling.i was trying to re-capture a scene from a recent early evening visit to one of the scrapes at titchfield.i just loved the strong tonal contrasts caused by the fading backlighting as the sun started to go down.

Attachments

• 001 (Large).JPG
    001 (Large).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 81
I've always been wary of those that can do detail, but this is proper art - beautiful stuff. I should go and check on my lapwings this weekend - see if they've been squished or not.

cheers nick,i'm learning a lot from you guys at BF about the importance of an artistic approach to things as much as the detailed view.i find these small pieces much more enjoyable to create than slaving for hours over every hair or feather! i do hope the lapwings dont get squished!

Very cool piece of work Clive, reminds me of the last bird you can see from the hide before it gets too dark, round here anyway - very atmospheric!

this is my latest scribbling.i was trying to re-capture a scene from a recent early evening visit to one of the scrapes at titchfield.i just loved the strong tonal contrasts caused by the fading backlighting as the sun started to go down.

I like Nick am a bit hesitant when it comes to a great deal of detail in art. But one thing,among many, that has always struck me in your drawings is just what you mention here: a real appreciation of light and all it can bring to a scene. Reminds me in a way of some type of light blue flower I used to see when I lived in California. It only really stood out at dusk, when it just glowed in the dark. Light can do amazing things.

thanks mark,you summed up what i was hoping to acheive really with this one,it's kinda like the last bird you see before the warden locks up the hide for the night.
ken i think the way light can play on both subject and landscape is so interesting and challenging to try to portray and yet if you can get it right it can transport you right back to a time and scene that every birder will recognise and for me thats the challenge(and the detail of course)lol

what an extraordinary thing you did here with pencil! to have it all in the lower range and still pull off the balance to create that light, don't think many could do that in graphite.

amazing. Like many others I don't use much detail, but I am totally in awe of anyone that can, especially as convincingly as this!! it has a real life-like quality, it is as clear and crisp as a photo with tons more character.

BRAVO!!:t:

I think we're doing our birding in very similar situations Clive, the light and atmosphere of the lappy is all so familiar to me, just as was the egret and also the avocet chaser!

Great stuff again.

Mike

glad the atmosphere is coming across mike.its so easy just to get carried away with detail working in graphite but seeing everyones interpretations of real birding experiences here on BF has inspired me further to try and create a snapshot in time that all birders will recognise.

many thanks for that rob,the feedback on my latest smaller works has been very much appreciated and so positive that its helped to spur me on to do more in the same vein.

Had a lovely surprise this weekend when i received a phonecall from a gallery owner friend of mine informing me that one of my bird images had won me the Wildscape magazine Wildlife Artist of the Year competition.I hadnt heard from the magazine myself and to be honest had forgotten all about entering the competition way back in february.I was hosting a pencil workshop at the gallery on the saturday and so had opportunity to view the magazine there and it certainly helped the workshop go with a swing!
the winning image was 'The Egret Pool'

Attachments

• The Egret pool-little egret.jpg
    The Egret pool-little egret.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back