• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of Western Palearctic birds (1 Viewer)

Judging by the new OSME checklist booklet the authors have proposed/made quite a few splits eg Menetrie's Warbler becomes Eastern and Western and 'Basalt Wheatear' becomes a species.
Maybe that will sell a few more copies.

Steve

Judging by the new OSME checklist booklet the authors have proposed/made quite a few splits eg Menetrie's Warbler becomes Eastern and Western and 'Basalt Wheatear' becomes a species.
Maybe that will sell a few more copies.

Steve

Oh you cynic, man after my own heart....;)

A

With more bird books cluttering up my house than is either financially or functionally sensible and with a good % of the content of these books probably available elsewhere, it would be a ludicrous, unnecessary and unjustifiable extravagance to buy them. Which means, of course, that I've just ordered it ....

With more bird books cluttering up my house than is either financially or functionally sensible and with a good % of the content of these books probably available elsewhere, it would be a ludicrous, unnecessary and unjustifiable extravagance to buy them. Which means, of course, that I've just ordered it ....

Still not even slightly tempted.....

A

Still not even slightly tempted.....

A

Same here. Pretty much a "déja vue" feeling, reminding me of the many similarly looking books on my bookshelves that I must have looked at just a few times when I bought them, but never since. Of course, these new books are up to date, have better photos etc etc. But the pertinent (to me) info is already available.

But then, to each his own. We all have our personal priorities.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for this some 15 years. Well, I can understand why somebody do not want to have this book - if they are not interested in birds, or WP birds, or reading books generally, but want to spend that time to something more useful and interesting action (I don't know what it could be, but possibly there are some). I am excepting something that really is not available "elsewhere".

But, of course, I have not seen the book yet. It is possible that that I will be disappointed.

In 1999, Svensson published the most popular bird guide in Europe (Collins Bird Guide). I am rather sure that his new book will have a similar success.

In 1999, Svensson published the most popular bird guide in Europe (Collins Bird Guide). I am rather sure that his new book will have a similar success.

That wasn't a photo guide and at the time, it was undoubtedly the best book up to that point.

A

I have been waiting for this some 15 years. Well, I can understand why somebody do not want to have this book - if they are not interested in birds, or WP birds, or reading books generally, but want to spend that time to something more useful and interesting action (I don't know what it could be, but possibly there are some). I am excepting something that really is not available "elsewhere".

But, of course, I have not seen the book yet. It is possible that that I will be disappointed.

I'll wait and see reviews, not from the publishers or book sellers but from those that buy it, I hope you're not disappointed. As others have said, it's hard to imagine that anything, other than the odd split, is not already available in the many, modern titles, it would be one thing if it were cheap but it's not. Add to this and I've mentioned it elsewhere, some people and I'm one, just can't get the hots for photo guides.

The suggestion that not buying this book, indicates not having an interest in birds is franky ridiculous, anyone who's familiar with me will know, that I usually need very little excuse to buy a book. There are some great titles coming out this year but I'm not ready to buy this just because the publisher says I should. If the people who's reviews I respect give it a 'WOW, this is a must have' then I'll reconsider but there are other titles I'm anticipating with more excitement.

Here are just a few of my books, not shown are my collection of New Naturalists or shelves full of periodicals, African Bird club, Birding World, Oriental Bird club etc etc and I'm still a rubbish birder....:eek!:

A

Attachments

• rsz_p5170350(1).jpg
    rsz_p5170350(1).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 282
  • rsz_p5170348.jpg
    rsz_p5170348.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back