• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Oahu Amakihi (827) yesterday so subject to trying for the Swiftlet all done in Hawaii? Has he time to fit anything else in before his short time in Australia (4-7 November)?

I cannot recall how many pending species there are in the current total. Is it 3?

All the best

Oahu Amakihi (827) yesterday so subject to trying for the Swiftlet all done in Hawaii? Has he time to fit anything else in before his short time in Australia (4-7 November)?

I cannot recall how many pending species there are in the current total. Is it 3?

All the best

I still think he should be heading for Texas - especially as a Mango has turned up in addition to the Jacana (& Least Grebe).

From Joe's list only Long legged Buzzard is pending - I would need him to confirm.

John has three provisionals: Long-legged Buzzard, Dark-billed Cuckoo and Pallas's Grasshopper-Warbler.
Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    131.3 KB · Views: 27
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    614.4 KB · Views: 33
Mariana Swiftlet is the only Hawaii species missed by John that he saw in 2016. He got five species from Hawaii not seen/countable in 2016, so I think overall he's happy about Hawaii birding this year.

Indian Peafowl (2)
Juan Fernandez Petrel (3)
Black-winged Petrel (3)
Newell's Shearwater (3)
Puaiohi (3)

Currently at 827, ten needed to break the record.

Texas next with four targets:
Least Grebe (2)
Green-breasted Mango (4) - not seen in 2016
Northern Jacana (4)
Audubon's Oriole (2)

Amanda Damin has sent me her list, so I’ll be adding a sixth member of the 2019 version of the 700 Club to the sheets.
Joe

Least Grebe & Audubon's Oriole moves to 827+3 and in cracking position:-

https://birdingyear.com/the-list-so-far/

All the best

Another new post covering Texas https://birdingyear.com/texas-birds-are-easy/

Also shows the targets including Los Angeles in the next couple of days en-route back to Oz.

Not sure why Oahu Elepaio is still showing on targets (#825 on Johns list) and begs question if a return to Hawaii is needed/wise.

Looks like he has written off Ross's Gull, Grey-backed Tern and Blue-footed Booby in addition to the Swift.

It's with great pleasure that I welcome Amanda Damin to the lists! I've only finished ABA Big Year sheets, but I'll get around to the other versions, too. She has not gone to Hawaii, so the Continental will be more germane. She's at 722 (+1), with the Yellow-chevroned Parakeet being her only provisional. For those looking at her eBird number, subtract one, as she has Mexican Duck entered into eBird.
Welcome, Amanda!

Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    138.4 KB · Views: 41
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    618.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It should be. We've not yet gotten the 2019 ABA List Update, but if the parakeet gets added this go-round, they can count it.

Joe

Yellow-chevroned Parakeet added. Next Australia visit (4th-7th).

Now a 831 (including three provisionals)
+ 36 (not seen in 2016, including three provisionals)
- 42 (seen in 2016, not seen yet this year, including two code 1's and two code 2's).

Still needing a few rarities to break the record.

Yellow-chevroned Parakeet added. Next Australia visit (4th-7th).

Now a 831 (including three provisionals)
+ 36 (not seen in 2016, including three provisionals)
- 42 (seen in 2016, not seen yet this year, including two code 1's and two code 2's).

Still needing a few rarities to break the record.

Tikli

Currently 4 provisionals now including the Parakeet - 827+4?

All the best

Tikli

Currently 4 provisionals now including the Parakeet - 827+4?

All the best

You are right, totally forgot that the Parakeet is provisional.

Speaking of provisionals: does anyone know what's the status of Stejneger's Scoter? Some Big Year birders have that on Joe's list.

The Stejneger's - White-winged split was recognized by the AOS this summer and will be reflected on the upcoming ABA Checklist (as will Yellow-chevroned Parakeet, I believe).

The McQuades became the 6th & 7th birders to reach 700 in the Lower 48 for a year. The Deans are three away from joining the club for the first time.
They all got the California Little Stint. Amanda and John had the Illinois bird (my lifer!).

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back