• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies vs Mammals 2020 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Still not completed one of these, and not even doing a bird year list (yet) this year, but ...

Butterflies

Jan 12th

1) Red Admiral - Mabe Burnthouse nr Falmouth

Mammals

Jan 20th

1) Rabbit - half dozen or so, Stithians Reservoir

Also another Red Admiral (also at Stithians) in the sunshine. Not been out much (!) but another vertebrate, a mid-sized Common Toad on the 18th under a bit of corrugated iron.

Mammals

Jan 21st

2) Short-tailed Field Vole - a couple disturbed whilst moving things around up at the field

Another butterfly at another location - possible Small Tortoiseshell (or Red Admiral) but flew off.

Mammals

Feb 1st

3) Grey Squirrel, Swanpool, Falmouth.
4) Brown Rat, as above, nice views of a big fat individual in the duck feeding corner.

Hope to start birding properly this month, so may see the list expanding further.

Mammals

March 11th

5) Pygmy Shrew - 1 disturbed whilst moving stuff. Forgot just how tiny they are!

Last edited:
Butterflies

March 16th

2) Small White - 1 bimbling about in the garden on the dandelions etc we are carefully nurturing.

Sunshine too!

Butterflies

March 23rd

4) Small Tortoiseshell - 1 in the front garden today.

+ more sunshine!

(with 2 together the following day)

Mammals

March 27th

6) Red Fox - one from the car whilst I was sat in it today. It saw me, paused and made a rapid about-turn.

Sensible fox!

Hey! It was only about twenty feet away, unfortunately I saw the movement out the corner of my eye and turned my head.

As other mammals go, hardly been to the coast this year, and that's not going to happen again for some while ... so won't be much happening on the cetacean/pinniped front awhiles ...

Mammals

April 3rd

6) Pipistrelle Bat - one behind the garden around 8pm

Seeing lots of people recording increased butterfly diversity. Not for me though! Still the odd Small Tort, Peacock and Small White.

Butterflies

April 8th

5) Holly Blue
6) Large White

Both in the back garden within 2 minutes of each other whilst I was filling the same wheelbarrow with soil. Peacock and Small Tort seen as well.

I am able to check a couple of private reserves for poaching activity with the blessing of an owner and local council manager.
Private reserve. 4th April. Robuck vanishing in the undergrowth plus many rabbits.
Council owned reserve, 6th April. Several Peacock and one Brimstone. I heard a barking ahead of me and saw one limping Muntjac and a little later a smaller one. Heard noises of Roe deer bashing through undergrowth and swimming a brook at the border of the reserve. I found no evidence of poachers but later that afternoon a landing net was found hidden behind a tree. Bastards!
No sight or sound of any migrant birds other than Black cap and Chiffchaffs.

Mammals

April 12th

7) Stoat. One crossed the road ahead of me on my exercise walk whilst checking out Stithians Res today

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back