• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows etc in uk 2020 (1 Viewer)

I have just joined the group so thank you for excepting me. The swallows have not arrived at my stables usually arrive sometime around 26th March Norfolk UK, so they are late this year. Hope they arrive soon here. They have been with us as soon has stables were built 14 years ago.

First for me yesterday at 09:45 (04/04). Moving south down the sand dunes and at sand dune height. Will have been feeding into the southerly head wind.

Regards
Baz

Had my first 2 Sand Martins this year on the 22nd March, Catcott Somerset, both flying high below one of the 4 Red Kites that I saw there that day.

Officially sanctioned exercise bike ride up to a local pond this afternoon produced a mixed flock of about 50-60 birds, mostly Sand Martins but also a few Barn Swallows and one or two House Martins - all 3 my first of the year :t:

I have one swallow back at the stables, looked tired and untidy. He has been here now 4 days singing but no one has joined him yet, he is looking better now so hope for more to follow.

Has anyone seen any Swallows, Martins yet in the UK? if so can you leave details here, some kids have written to admin asking if we could get information for them.

Thanks.

First House Martin of the year for me this morning; Hodbarrow, Cumbria.

had my first swallow in east Norfolk on the 11th

I have just joined the group so thank you for excepting me.

The swallows have not arrived at my stables usually arrive sometime around 26th March Norfolk UK, so they are late this year. Hope they arrive soon here.

'

I'm on the West side of North Norfolk here, near coast, but NOT near the Fens, or suchlike.

We overlook farmland mostly, with some woodland on the periphery.

Saw my very first 'African Import' of 2020, yesterday, Sunday 12th April, just after lunchtime.

House Martin - just ONE lone House Martin, who'd settled on my Farmer-neighbour's Telegraph wire.

Whilst it WAS a most welcome sight, it's unusual to see him 'alone'

We're usually inundated, in the gigantic field(s) opposite, yet here he was, "on his lonesome".

Same field opposite, is large enough to land AND park several squadrons of C.130 Hercules & still land more....
(it's most certainly long-enough & forms a long block, separating 3 x villages)

So we always do see swallows 'surfing' the cornfields, for low-flying insects.

Not sure what crop it is this year, but, last-year we had 2 x Oystercatchers breeding outside/opposite.

They're back again (as a pair), plus countless Partridge (which proliferate), plus a few pheasants

Problem is also the ridiculous 'sharp' changes of extreme weather !!!!!!

We've had a good 4-5 days of 18-20-degree weather = Yesterday reached 21-degrees here.

Yet, very late afternoon, it clouded-over AND a bitterly-cold East-wind kicked-in.

Late-afternoon/early evening, tempratures plummeted, right down to a ridiculously cold 8-degrees, from 21 !!!!!!!

It has stayed that way, all throughout the daytime today, a bitterly ice-cold wind, keeping it at 8-degrees (Highest is '8' , Jeeeez)

You naturally DO NOT expect the weather to change SO sharply & dramatically, by 65% or so :storm:

Might just explain as to "why" Mr.Martin was all on his lonesome-pine !!!!!!!

(yesterday, wafer-thin shirt-sleeves - yet today, multiple fleeces & scarves !)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back