• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID help, London, Ontario (1 Viewer)

mrmanning

Southern Ontario Birder
I just got back from the sifton bog where from a long distance using my binocs, I located two birds sitting in a pine tree.
I couldn't get a pic, but I tried to get as many identifiers as possible, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

The birds were robin sized, with similar structure. The beaks were longish but not as long as a flicker. The birds had a belly that looked robin esque, with red colouring, but there were lots of black and white spots, and some white ringing near the neck. The tails were bobbing fairly regularily.

They could have been robins, but the spots certainly dont point me in that direction.

Any help is appreciated!

What do your juvenile robins look like?

Young European robins (and indeed most thrushes, like your robin) are heavily spotted as juveniles.

Here's a photo of a pair of robins (adult and juvenile) I took last year. Young robins here are indeed spotted. Does this look like what you saw?

Attachments

• MajorsHill 156 (2).jpg
    MajorsHill 156 (2).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 102
Here's a photo of a pair of robins (adult and juvenile) I took last year. Young robins here are indeed spotted. Does this look like what you saw?

What a great photo Gillian ! - Pretty cute seeing a nice family unit - I was watching a downy woodpecker momma with her baby daughter today -teachin the ways of the suet feeder, it was awsome ! :t: Anyway, back to IDing this spotted bird.

Wow, you guys hit the nail on the head. The bird in the photos match what I saw today. I had never seen a juvie robin before, so I wasn't sure what it was!

Thanks for the help everyone, case closed!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back