• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylogenetic species (1 Viewer)

Re:Lanius (phoenicuroides) isabellinus
Isn’t it the contrary (isabellinus is senior) ?

Blanford in the Eastern Persia an account of the journeys of the Persian Boundry Commision (1876) says that isabellinus (Hemp. & Ehr. 1828) is different from L. cristatus (of which L. phaenicurus Pallas is a synonym) In Zoonomen it states:
Lanius isabellinus phoenicuroides Citation

* Peters Checkist 9:346 (= Mayr & Greenway 1960) cite this to Schalow in J.Orn. 23 1875. This is found in no.130, the "April" number of the J.Orn. which according to the pattern that is slowly emerging was probably delayed for a minimum of 3-8 months before it actually appeared.
* In Schalow's J.Orn. use of the name he attributes it to Severtzov in 1873, also in the J.Orn. where Severtzov uses the name Lanio phoenicuroides p.347 in a list, where it appears to be a nomen nudum.
* Severtzov also published the name L[anius] phaeicuroides in the Nov. 1875 number of Stray Feathers III no.5 p.429. My interpretation of the Richmond Index card in this case is that Severtzov was using L. phaenicuroides for L. phaenicuris (described in that work at p.144). So the Schalow use of the name may very will be the first valid instance of use. If not, the date could be a problem as the Nov. Stray Feathers volume could quite possibly have preceeded the "April" J.Orn. number for that year.
Shrikes are messed up!

Thanks for the info mb.

I went a bit further and found many little things. For instance I wonder about the nuthatches (l. 1852-1880):

S. europaea is split in 3 “traditional” species: europaea, asiatica and arctica (based on Zink & al. 2006 ?)

S. castanea is split in 2 “traditional” species: castanea and cinnamoventris (based on Y. Red’kin & M. Konovalova 2006 and/or Dickinson 2006 ?)

Sinensis, 1871 is included in S. nagaensis, 1874 (???)

Taxonomic status of eight Asian shrike species (Lanius): phylogenetic analysis based on Cyt b and CoI gene sequences
Authors: Zhang, Wei; Lei, Fu-Min; Liang, Gang; Yin, Zuo-Hua; Zhao, Hong-Feng; Wang, Hong-Jian; Krištín, Anton
Source: Acta Ornithologica, Volume 42, Number 2, December 2007 , pp. 173-180(8)
Publisher: Museum and Institute of Zoology, Polish Academy of Sciences

Abstract:
Complete Cyt b gene sequences (1143bp), partial CoI gene sequences (1176bp) and Cyt b gene sequences combined with CoI gene sequences (2319bp) from 22 samples of 8 Lanius species were analysed using the phylogenetic method. Molecular phylogenetic trees were reconstructed using the Maximum Parsimony (MP), Maximum Likelihood (ML), Neighbour-joining (NJ) and MrBayesV3.1 (BI) methods. 228 and 216 nucleotide sites were found to be substituted in the Cyt b gene and CoI gene sequences respectively, accounting for 19.5% and 18.4% of the total nucleotide sites in the Cyt b gene and CoI gene sequences. In the phylogenetic trees, L. minor and L. tigrinus were the first to diverge. Then, a parallel clade diverged: one was clustered with L. isabellinus and L. collurio, which formed a sister group; the other was clustered with L. schach and L. cristatus, which was parallel to the cluster of L. tephronotus and L. bucephalus. Shrikes L. isabellinus, L. collurio, L. schach and L. tephronotus were independent species. The melanistic form of L. schach is a variation group of L. schach.

Sorry, possibly not directly related to the rest of the thread - I was just wondering if anybody would have seen this paper in its entirety.
(I have tried to write to the authors, but with no luck up to now.)

(I'd be particularly interested in the geographical origin/subspecific identity of the Isabelline and Bull-headed Shrikes they used in this study. As stated in the abstract, their Isabelline Shrike sequences are well distinct from those of collurio - but this is in sharp contrast with sequences of L. i. phoenicuroides (of course, isabellinus is senior...) from Kazakhstan published by other authors, that fall well among collurio sequences. For Bull-headed Shrike, their sequences indeed form a single cluster with those of L. tephronotus - but those of L. b. bucephalus from Korea and Japan published by other authors are very much distinct, appearing basal to cristatus + tephronotus...)

L -

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back