• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding targets for 2016 (1 Viewer)

The recent winter storm cancelled the pelagic trip out of Brooklyn, but I've rebooked for a similar trip out of Cape May - so still a chance for Dovekie (lifer), and I guess the other target alcids will end up on my New Jersey list.

Recently got Little Gull, Thayer's Gull, American Pipit, and Harlequin Duck for my New York list, Little Gull was also new for me for the ABA area.

I'm feeling desperate for a trip to the tropics but life circumstances may not allow me to arrange such a trip this year.

Yesterday I went twitching for a Mandarin Duck one had been spotted in Faggate Park in Portobello sadly I didn't see it would have loved to have seen it the joy of twitching.

Results

We have two trips planned for next year

Japan (jan /feb) main targets are Stellers Sea Eagle, Blakison's Fish Owl and Japanese aka Red-crowned Crane

Colombia (Nov) - White-tipped Quetzal, Santa Marta Endemics and some new Antpittas.

We did trip reports for Japan and Colombia (also a short trip to Finland) and for once we got most of our main targets perhaps we weren't ambitious enough (we did miss 5 of the 30 or so endemics on Santa Marta) but we got the 3 Japan targets and 3 new Owls in Finland.
We saw the WT Quetzal and 10 Antpitta's in Colombia (7 photographed - way beyond expectations).
Just firming up plans for this year we should have main trips booked by the weekend.
How did others do?

This summer I'll be working at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, so there's a whole suite of potential lifers to see in the several months I'll be in the state:

Dusky Grouse
White-tailed Ptarmigan
Northern Bobwhite
Scaled Quail
Mississippi Kite
Northern Goshawk
Eastern Screech-Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Three-toed Woodpecker
Cordilleran Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird

Chestnut-collared Longspur
Dickcissel

I also have a good chance of seeing some eastern birds I haven't seen in years, such as Red-bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Eastern Bluebird, and Common Grackle.

To make things simple, I just put in bold the species in the above lists that I managed to see while in Colorado last May-October, while adding another here: Wild Turkey, which I added as a lifer there despite having previously seen them here in California several times on account of them being considered exotic here but "native" there.

Needless to say, I didn't get to travel around Colorado as much as I would've liked, but I still managed to reach my goal of 100+ species seen in the state (with 120 by the time I left). I rarely left the immediate Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park area. Even with that being the case, Dusky Grouse turned out to be a serious nemesis bird, and a bird I thought I would get fairly easily, given time and effort, eluded me.

So heard a 'local'ish White Backed Woody (need to see it now) but not Tengmalms. Got Pallid Harrier.

Targets for 2017 remain the same - WBW and Tengmalms

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back