• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

nharrier said:
Finally saw an American White Pelican for the first time this past weekend. I have been looking for this bird all summer after hearing it was at a wildlife refuge, but somehow this gigantic obvious white bird has eluded me til now.
Hi, nharrier, I'm glad you got the American White Pelican. It is always great to get to see a bird in the wild which you have not seen before. And getting it on your own does make it even better.

Here in Missouri our pelican situation is just the reverse of what you have in NJ. We get hundreds of the white pelicans migrating through, spring and fall. I have only seen one Brown Pelican here in Missouri, it was a rare sight indeed!

Little Crake at Slimbridge last Thursday, and before that the Wilson's Phalarope at Farlington last month. The Sabine's Gull at Chew on Sunday was only the 2nd I'd ever seen.

None in Europe this year! Really need to do some Euro twitching, would have been at least four in the UK had I lived there (and not dipped of course)!

Last new birds were in Sri Lanka last winter and next new birds will be in India this winter I expect ...unless something amazing happens here before!

Last edited:
I'm with Tim and several hundred others, Little Crake at Slimbridge on Thursday (following an early exit from work !!!)

then a Great White Egret at Orchardleigh Lake, Somerset on Saturday

tick, tick :scribe:

Two weeks ago in French Pyrennes: Whinchats, Collared Flycatchers, Black Redstarts, Golden Eagles and a flock of around 20 Cattle Egrets.

A wood Thrush at Oxley Nature Center on Friday. The weather is still too warm and the leaves are just starting to turn. It's going to get better in a couple of weeks.

I am hoping for some Ammodramus sparrows this morning over in the Chillicothe, Missouri, area. Maybe I can add a couple of ticks to my Missouri Year List.

Was White-eyed Parakeet on my return from Brazil - that lasted all of a week before being replaced by the Lothian Paddyfield warbler.

James

Had numerous "lifers" on my trip to Shetland back in June, I guess the last ones were the Red Necked Phalaropes we saw in Fetlar - but at the same time we saw three red throated divers.... Both lifers for me!

Tinribs

Had several last month on a trip to the Somme estuary in northern France:

curlew sandpiper, common crane, short eared owl.

The week before that, in Britanny, gannet and roseate tern.

Last lifer for me was the collared pratincole at Cley in May, although a better bird was the cirl bunting in the South Hams in July that was a UK first for me. The next lifer, hopefully, will be the laughing gull in West Yorkshire if I can get to the right place at the right time. It's moving between several roosts and during the day moves around in the Pontefract and Wakefield area.
Keith

Just had 3 new birds in 3 weekends, and all local -
Leach's Petrel at Fleetwood
Yellow-Browed Warbler at Newton (trough of bowland)
Lesser Scaup at Myerscough Quarry (very local).

It can't last.

Crag Martin: 11th, January 2005 on 54.28N-09.50E !

There were three storms in a row with strong winds from SW the days before and information about wintering crag martins north of the Alpes.

On a walk, watching for ringed gulls, along the harbour, my fellow birdwatchers suddenly yelled, that a wader was approaching from the east. When I used my binocular on this bird, I immediately realized, that it was a pale brownisch martin, but without a breastring. When it turned towards south, it showed the delta-like wings, similar to those of common starling.

A crag martin in winter up to the baltic sea is a rare event, I asure, and was a really unexpected lifer for me.

All the best,
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back