• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pheasant, Mere Sands Wood, Lancashire (1 Viewer)

mickporter

Oswaldtwistle birder
For some while now at Mere Sands Wood there is a Male Pheasant which is almost totally green apart from a red wattle on its face.

Whereas normally they have a metallic green neck, and a golden brown plumage, this one is green all over.

Is this normal?? Some discussion took place today in the hide and a guy said he had seen several like it around Yorkshire. I have certainly never seen one like this anywhere else and my books do not mention it. Is this a freak of nature or something that does occur naturally?

Sorry for no pictures........

Just dragged out my heinzel fitter parslow which i remember is actually better for pheasants than collins.

It looks like it could be either a japanese pheasant or a 'melanstic' mutant ordinary pheasant or a hybrid of the 2.

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few of those dark green pheasants, which I believe are 'Japanese Pheasants,' although I don't know if that's a full species or just a 'form.'

A couple of years ago there was a male Golden Pheasant at Mere Sands it used to frequent the area around the bird table near the Ainscough hide.

Yes thats right sadly I believe it was shot. I suppose if this one is a Japanese Pheasant then it must be an escapee and may well suffer the same fate.... Unless someone claims it. It seems to spend its time chasing around the Water Rail as it comes to the feeding table. Maybe it has an identity crisis!!

Huge numbers of pheasants are released each autumn for shooting and some survive through the winter. In recent years there seems to have been a trend towards releasing pheasants that have been selectively bred for unusual colour patterns (up here it has been very dark, almost black ones). I suspect your green pheasant is one of these variants.

Yes, it sounds like a melanistic Pheasant, they are quite common in some areas. I've seen many myself in the Hereford area, the males are all dark. You can normally tell the males apart from male Japanese Pheasants (P. versicolor) by their dark rumps - Japanese Pheasants have a pale rump. The females are also much darker than 'normal' hen pheasants, being very dark chocolate brown.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back