• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ipod speakers for playback (2 Viewers)

Jhanlon

This query relates to playback rather than recording - hope I've posted in the right section.

I'm in the process of synching all my bird call CD's to my wife's spare ipod nano but need a speaker for it. I need something that has enough power to broadcast the sound a fair way but is small enough to fit in a pocket. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

I'd advise to get the Radioshack speakers from Birdguides* (*of course, other sources are available).
They can make a lot of noise. The accompanying cables are a bit stiff & sensitive (I broke two on holiday): get spares from a store.

I'd advise to get the Radioshack speakers from Birdguides* (*of course, other sources are available).
They can make a lot of noise. The accompanying cables are a bit stiff & sensitive (I broke two on holiday): get spares from a store.

Agreed. Excellent sound reproduction and very loud!!

Thanks guys. What's interesting is that the Radioshack model is listed as a mini amplifier, whereas I had been looking at speakers (which presumably don't amplify the power??). Some of the speakers are a lot smaller and easier to fit in a trouser pocket. Can anyone confirm this? Do I need an amplifier instead of a mini speaker to generate enough reach? And can this 'reach' be converted into desired output power eg 1 or 2 watts, etc?

I've used the Radioshack speakers for well over 15 years: they are small, extremely durable and easily carried in a pocket.

Even with tons of use, I've found the required 9V battery will last for several months. If you plan to use your set-up abroad on short holidays, one battery should be all you need (worth bearing in mind given that 9V are not necessarily so easy to find). I carry spares with me as I typically go abroad for 3-5 months, but often still find that I don't need a replacement.

One thing you do need to carry with you, however, is a small screwdriver, which is the only way to easily take the back off and change the battery. Using another suitable object to unscrew the back will eventually "screw the screw"!

As an aside, I've found the 3G nano iPods, at least, to be much worse as playback devices compared to "classics". My two classics have "crashed" once (between them) in a total of three years use, whereas the nano has been consistently problematic over the same period. My local Mac store knew nothing about any increased risk in "freezing" with nanos, so maybe I've just been unlucky.

If you do have problems with an iPod, take it into a Mac store if you can. They replaced my problematic nano with a brand-new one for £35 (which was particularly good given that I bought the other one second-hand). Just for the record, the classics I bought were second-hand too.

The built in amp in an iPod is only designed to drive the headphones simply plugging speakers in will be barely audible.

All external speakers available have some sort of amp to produce the volume they do, which needs power, you can get some that run off you iPod battery but most use a separate battery.

OK, I think the Radioshack model wins over the imaingo on account of its smaller size. It seems to be out of stock everywhere except on Birdguides. I'm wondering if the model is exactly the same, as BG lists it with slightly different (smaller) dimensions but also charges twice as much as most other outlets (maybe they have the only ones left so have upped the price!)

What's interesting is that the 'generic' advert used everywhere has picked up on its adoption by the birding community listing this type of use as its 'most unusual application'!

OK, I think the Radioshack model wins over the imaingo on account of its smaller size.

Well, the imaingo fits perfectly in my coat or birders' vest pocket. It's the size of a small field guide, and the ipod is contained within it, so you don't have to juggle multiple items.

Best,
Jim

IMO the most user friendly speaker (and the one I use for 90% of calls) is the Macally MYTUNE for the ipod nano - it has a reasonable range - but they are specific for which version of nano -fits comfortably in a jean trouser pocket.
I use the Imain go when I need good base. You have to remember to turn it off though as it chews up batteries when on standby.
The Radioshack mini amplifier comes out when I need the volume.

I hope I'm not taking this too much off topic, but another possibility is an iphone. Since I acquired iphone4 a month or so ago, I've been leaving the ipod/imaingo combination behind. The iphone's built-in speakers aren't quite as good (or quite as loud) as the the imaingo's, but they're pretty good & for portability & convenience of use the iphone can't be beat. For sound files, I've been using those bundled with the various North American iguides--the big Sibley, the NGR, the Audubon's, others. There's lots of overlap & there's some variation in quality, but as a group these files provide excellent coverage of the regional songs & calls.

And, of course, the iphone's usable with external speakers, though I haven't tried it with these as yet.

fugl I use my iphone (3GS) sometimes with the radioshack mini amplifier. but it requires two hands. Generally I only use my iphone to show the pictures of birds to inquiring passers-by.

I can use my preferred method - the Macally MYTUNE (with nano) with only one hand comfortably - I actually have 4 of them now and can use three at once fairly comfortably (if I am really twitchy and pushed for time) - very user friendly

Has anyone any experience of using a dictaphone? You can get them with a usb to upload bird calls. Might be more reliable and cheaper than an ipod or iphone. Speaker function might be loud enough, or an external battery operated speaker could be used. I'm not yet decided whether to go down this route.

The volume from this little golf-ball sized speaker is pretty impressive... http://www.amazon.co.uk/XMI-X-mini-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1286406094&sr=8-1. Reviews on Amazon show I'm not the only one impressed with price and performance. I liked it so much I bought three more to give as Christmas presents.

Graham

Aldi also sometimes sell a similar product. Can't remember how much it was but peanuts. Does the job fine. I also use my (Nokia) phone, but it does drain the batteries and I prefer using mp3 player and speaker.

Has anyone identified any good speakers lately apart from those above? I've just bought an Edirol R-09HR and need something to playback the recordings.

Thanks, alan

Can't go wrong with the Radioshack speaker Al - works perfectly, is small and runs off a 'normal' battery. Used it in SA and had no probs (just remember to turn it off

Ads

Can't go wrong with the Radioshack speaker Al - works perfectly, is small and runs off a 'normal' battery. Used it in SA and had no probs (just remember to turn it off

Ads

Yep, brilliant piece of kit.

In fact the Edirol's superb also and I'd recommend Audacity for editing.

Last edited:
Yep, brilliant piece of kit.

In fact the Edirol's superb also and I'd recommend Audacity for editing.

Thanks all - Edirol on the way in the Xmas post and been using Audacity for some years (great to boost the volume of quiet cuts and clean up noise). Will order a couple of the Radioshack speakers today.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back