• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what m4/3 Olympus should i got as a second camera (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello all

i got a buyer for my EPL1, for about alittle less than 300 USD, and thought it would be a good idea to upgrade although i am very happy with it, and as its a good solid body it may go on with me for a long time unless it fall down form my butter hands.

anyway i liked the idea of titled screen (will not get the outrageously expensive EV2) so the first thing i thought about was the PEL3, the price is a bit high (around 600USD with the 14-45mm lens) no option for body only offered by amazon.

the thing is i like it compact size, hopefully its processor is truly better than the EPL1, because i am already happy with the results i am getting with the EPL1. but the price is a bit high.

my question, is the EPL3 worth the change, or shall i keep my gear the way it is. or the EPM will be just fine for a camera that goes with me everywhere.

i am a bit on a tight budget, the OMD is so excellent but i already have the E5. i rather save up for good scope i really want to start digiscoping.

I have no doubt about the Oly quality, what is more attracting is now I got a Nikon AI to M4/3 adaptor for my old Nikon lens lie up. I love the eye level view finder and the in-camera IS. But as you said, it will squeeze a lot on my wallet!!!!

Why only think about the olympus: Pana G3 are currently $469.97 on Amazon, and it will fall in price once the G5 starts shipping. (the G3 can be down to $400 if used cameras are included in the search).

Niels

yes i did consider G3, like its results, but i don't know never in my 23 years of photography i bought any other than Olympus, kind of ammadouxnian tradition :-O

but i have to say WOW and re WOW :eek!: for the coming Lumix G5.

You are right, the G5 seems to be on the right track, but I want to see real reviews before getting too excited.

Niels

My nephew bought a Panasonic G3 and 14-42 kit last week at a very good price and I had a quick play with it the other day. It is a lovely little camera but I found it too tiny for my hands which, although small, are suffering from decades of using keyboards and mice. I found it rather awkward and painful to use.

If I was considering a m4/3 camera, I would probably wait for the OM-D to fall in price a bit or to see what the GH3 is like when it eventually appears. I will be sticking with my Oly E-30 for the foreseeable future, though.

Ron

My nephew bought a Panasonic G3 and 14-42 kit last week at a very good price and I had a quick play with it the other day. It is a lovely little camera but I found it too tiny for my hands which, although small, are suffering from decades of using keyboards and mice. I found it rather awkward and painful to use.

If I was considering a m4/3 camera, I would probably wait for the OM-D to fall in price a bit or to see what the GH3 is like when it eventually appears. I will be sticking with my Oly E-30 for the foreseeable future, though.

Ron

I have large hands and get on fine with the G3. If you're used to the feel of a DSLR it may simply take some getting used to. In any event, the G5 body has been redesigned to have a more robust grip.

[EDIT: I'm not aware that any GH3 has been announced.]

Jim

Last edited:
Even the GH2 (which also is much reduced in price compared to when it was new) also has a more substantial grip than the G3, and it takes really good stills (even if some review sites see it as a video only camera).

Niels

Why are you selling the EPL1? And what do you mean by a "titled screen"?

If you don't want the VF2 then I assume this is only for digiscoping?

Why only think about the olympus: Pana G3 are currently $469.97 on Amazon, and it will fall in price once the G5 starts shipping. (the G3 can be down to $400 if used cameras are included in the search).

Niels

You are right, Niels. I am using an outdated G1 which I got it very cheap as an old stock(CND300 including the 14-45 lens). With a tripod, It yields decent shots. The thing that brought me to Oly is its in-camera IS, which is lacking in all my Manual focusing Nikkor lens. (I wonder the IS will work well in this case though.)

[EDIT: I'm not aware that any GH3 has been announced.]
You are right Jim - it hasn't. When the OM-D was announced amid much acclaim, many Panasonic enthusiasts were saying that they were waiting for the successor to the GH2, the GH3, which they were sure would be at least as good as the Oly. I am sure there will be a top of the range successor to the GH2 at some point.

The problem I had with the G3 was that, as I grasped the small grip with my right hand, I found it difficult and painful to work the shutter button with my forefinger. I was surprised as I have small hands. Up until then I had been considering an OM-D but this experience put me off the idea, although the reduction in weight would be most welcome.

'pshute', I think 'titled screen' is just a typo for 'tilted screen'.

Ron

The problem I had with the G3 was that, as I grasped the small grip with my right hand, I found it difficult and painful to work the shutter button with my forefinger. I was surprised as I have small hands. Up until then I had been considering an OM-D but this experience put me off the idea, although the reduction in weight would be most welcome.

I thought the OM-D comes with an additional grip? Not too sure though. I find myself regularly recommending the GH2 or G3 and now the G5 to fellow birders who want a compact setup.

Anyway, Happy Ramadan to you Ammadoux :t:

I thought the OM-D comes with an additional grip? Not too sure though.
When the OM-D kit first went on sale in the UK there was a special offer of a free HLD-6 two part grip with it. The offer has expired now and the price of the grip is about £220 which is a lot of money to add to the body price of about £1000.

Ron

thanks all for your input, but i still want to know about the EPL3, not thinking of Lumix camera, because as Eastwood said, the lack of IBSI, although i am mostly going to use it with the Lumix 100-300mm, and there the OIS will be on and the IB will be off, but i also have the 4/3 Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 macro, where i usually use it handheld.

another thing G3 would be my choice but i have to make a decision within three days, weather i will sell or not, so i can't wait till its price drops.

yes Ron it was a typo, i meant tilted screen.

the EPL1 + Lumix 100-300mm is such a fabulous combination, and now that i have learnt how to get along with focusing using the live view, it never came to me to change, but when this offer came i thought why not i try to get the new one.

According to the 43 rumors site, Panasonic are due to announce the GH3 on Monday. They have some photos and details on the site and I think it looks very promising indeed. It should give the OM-D EM-5 a run for its money. I don't think it will be cheap though!

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back