• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2008 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Last year at this time I had a collard dove plummet down the chimney, but no sign (thank goodness) this time!!!

I see Jyothi has just started this thread, but I beat him to it by 2 seconds!!!!!!!!!;););)

Last edited:
Lol it was close Penny ;)
I can't delete my thread, as there is no delete button so recently after posting it, but I have PM'ed Delia to see if it can be done.

Stepped outside the house, masses of fireworks and..

1. Tawny Owl
2. Pheasant

Lol it was close Penny ;)
I can't delete my thread, as there is no delete button so recently after posting it, but I have PM'ed Delia to see if it can be done.

Stepped outside the house, masses of fireworks and..

1. Tawny Owl
2. Pheasant

It was VERY close Jyothi;) - Happy New Year and well done with first 2 birds on BF!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:gn:

I'm still working on my 2007 list (it's only 9:06 pm EST)! ;) The funny thing is, I'm not having much luck with all this darkness around! :-O

12/31/07 - 8:17 PM Pacific Standard Time

Saw 33 species today, the last day of the year. So that would make, what, -- minus 33 species for 2008 so far?

Last edited:
Just up and have seen Blackbirds (getting the worms). The two Firecrest in the garden haven't woken yet - shame. Hopefully i'll see them later. Just having a brew before I pop up to the local Res for an hour or two. I should pick up 30+ ticks this morning.

Well it's almost 1am here in the Pacific Time Zone. I just got my first bird of the year, a cracking Northern Saw-whet Owl! I took our snowmobile up into our neighbors woods, walked a bit farther, and started calling for them. At the second location, after about five minutes of calling and waiting, I heard twittering sounds above me, one of the less-commonly-heard Saw-whet vocalizations. It took a few more minutes, but I finally saw its silhouette pass between trees, then got the spotlight on it in flight, then the spotlight on it perched on an open branch. Fantastic! It flew around a few times, twittering some more and moving on to whining sounds as well.

I did the same last New Years, but after more than an hour all I had was one call far down a slope, so it was great to actually see it this year.

Now to get some sleep! ^_^ Happy New Year everyone.

Happy new year everyone!

So far I've had Starling, Collared dove, Wood Pigeon, robin, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, House sparrows, blue tit and Magpie all in my garden, plus the black headed gulls on the roof.

Tens species so far, all in the garden and surrounds. I am being lazy and not going out (chances are every person and their dog will be out and about).

Red kite!! On a (non-birding) family walk, near Beaconsfield. An awesome start to the year. (Also some less exciting stuff: green & g-s woodpeckers were best of the rest.)

Compared to this time last year, things are looking very rosy!

25 species today, this is mainly from looking out my windows, but also a short walk down the local park which has a small river running through it. Not exactly perfect weather, but this is what I've seen today, in order:

Lesser Black-backed Gull
Carrion Crow
Dunnock
Rook
Feral Pigeon
Starling
Herring Gull
House Sparrow
Siskin
Wood Pigeon
Blackbird
Robin
Black-headed Gull
Magpie
Blue Tit
Greenfinch
Pied Wagtail
Cormorant
Mallard
Great Tit
Dipper
Jackdaw
Wren
Redwing
Fieldfare

first owl of the year? Short eared and very nice it was too, closely followed by a barn owl about ten minutes later. And a pair of grey partridges was suprising as well as there aren't that many about near here. Unfortunately fog and bad light beat me too a little owl, so that is my first dip of the year. I also had goldcrest.

bittern in cornwall this afternoon at stithians. also black necked grebe in newlyn at first light with a gn diver and over at carbis bay this morning red throated and gn divers and slav grebe

Forty Three this morning at Amwell Gravel Pits including Smew, Goldeneye, Egyptian Goose and Chiffchaff which pleased me no end.
Strangely, no Green or Goldfinches :-(

68 so far. Best being 5 species of heron including Bittern, Great White Egret and Cattle Egret. Black Tailed Godwit, Green Sand, Snipe, Goosanders and Black N Grebe all at Blashford Lakes HWT.
Missed some easy birds like Green Wood, Treecreeper and Kingfisher but hopefully by tomorrow I will be over the 100 mark.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back