• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BFers (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Or Biffers, or maybe there's a better name?

Similar in some respects to googlewhacks*, these are words that come up only once in an 'Advanced Search' on the BirdForum website. I've noticed a few before in the past (but don't recall having noted them down). Current topic inspired by this thread: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385759 (Both thanks and apologies to that thread originator ;-) )

Old, archaic (243), nearly obsolete or rarely written words tend to be 'the ones' along with various terms which just don't crop up in written discussion on a predominantly wildlife orientated forum.

A lot of long words have nevertheless been used many a time by folk, probably trying to sound pretentious (243) or grand (112).

Some more that don't count -

Determinism (23)
Nominative (68)
Fortuitously (80)

There may be some glitches (169) in the search engine though, as eg nevertheless (see above) doesn't come up with any results. Unless it really hasn't been used before this thread??

Search Format - Search 'Entire Posts' & Show Results as 'Posts'.

As with googlewhacks (5), deliberate 'spoiling' of results by posting good biffers in other threads is mean or nasty. (Posting to this thread doesn't count, or please use the * to replace a letter as in eg {po*ting, where * = s} to avoid spoilage (25).

Cheers ...

(* eg see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlewhack )

I think you may just try to read some of my posts, mayn't you? I have been often accused of a creative approach to the English language, surely I have come up with something that doesn't exist :)

Is the idea that I mаyn't use that word in this thread?

... Bad person ... ;)

I think you may just try to read some of my posts, mayn't you? I have been often accused of a creative approach to the English language, surely I have come up with something that doesn't exist

Words that don't really exist don't count, but yes, I'm sure you've been guilty of using the odd old words which english speakers (or writers) wouldn't really use

... :t:

I can type еxаctаmundo, but you won't find mine in your search o:D

Are you sure?

Interestingly though, I will also find it in many unrelated threads, not sure what exactly it does to the search engine, but it is not pretty :)

Attachments

• 1-Fullscreen capture 28-Jan-20 111919 AM.jpg
    1-Fullscreen capture 28-Jan-20 111919 AM.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 12
Odd, it shouldn't have found it - I used a cyrillic script 'а' rather than a latin script 'a'. They look the same, but have different computer codes, so the search should treat them as different.

Yes and I played the same game on you, copying what you posted in this thread and searching for that instead. The interesting thing is that it finds a heap of irrelevant results for some reason.

Yes and I played the same game on you, copying what you posted in this thread and searching for that instead. The interesting thing is that it finds a heap of irrelevant results for some reason.
Maybe it treats cyrillic/latin script change as a word end/start? If so, it'll pick up all instances of 'mundo'.

Are you getting the search results as 'posts' as opposed to 'threads' by choosing the tickbox?

Exactamundo comes up with only 2 results for me - original thread and this one. (And it also picked up on the *xactamundo (maybe the * is a 'wildcard') and/or the actual physical search comes up as a result too when looking at posts).

It's interesting, but not a problem.

Admin Greenfields may have some answers. Certainly the search function on here is useful and probably underused as a tool for finding info/past threads on topics.

btw - an alternative thread title could have been 'Does anyone else like birds and words?' ;)

Last edited:
Admin Greenfields may have some answers. Certainly the search function on here is useful and probably underused as a tool for finding info/past threads on topics.
The search is useful, but has a big problem that it only finds threads; if that thread happens to be very long, you have to look through each page manually to find the searched word - fancy trying the European Rarities thread, over 6200 posts? :eek!:

btw - an alternative thread title could have been 'Does anyone else like birds and words?' ;)
Or, if you're a Geordie, bords and words o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back