• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Highlight for me over weekend was c.40 Brambling scattered around the reservoir (Grafham) on Sunday - clearly a gathering/grounding of north-bound migrants - some cracking males, including a number singing in lagoons and near Valley creek, with others passing over-head too. Easily my highest ever count around the reservoir.

I posted some (poor) videos on https://twitter.com/GrafhamWBirder

Cetti's and couple of Sedge Warbler in lagoons, but very quiet on the reservoir itself.

Grafham water 22 Apr; at least 30 Little Gulls early morning before departing. Bar-tailed Godwit over the dam and the regular Caspian Gull still present now restricted to buoys mostly as the water is back to normal.

Great Stukeley Nightingale singing well this evening in same location as last year. Also a Curlew on the airfield calling.

Last edited:
Grafham Water 24 April evening ; the regular 1st year Caspian Gull still present at west end , plus 2 Common Sandpipers on the harbour boom.

Grafham water 12 May am; the regular 1yr Caspian Gull still present commuting to the valley then back to the inaccessible west shore roosting point. Been several weeks since updating the photo sequence begun last September. Keen to see any close ups if anyone lucky to catch up with it....

Interesting Chiffchaff at the Dry Drayton to A14 junction just as you enter the A14. Heard it several times this week while getting onto the A14; probably just an aberrant Common Chiffchaff but with all these so claimed Iberian individuals who knows. Too dangerous to stop there so can’t do much with it.
Nice Yellow-legged Gull at Grafham and the Nightingale currently singing at dusk at Great Stukeley still.

A14 Chiffchaff still there today; stationary traffic gave a chance to listen a bit longer: probably just a rather aberrant individual singing in short bursts. Not worth getting killed over I suspect....

Grafham Water 15 June ; the immature Caspian Gull still present looking like it will have spent virtually all its life at Grafham since arriving last August. Distant views from Mander car park and reasonable views from Plummer car park later. Yellow-legged, Great Black-back and Lesser Black-back all present for comparison.

Grafham Water 16 June ; 2 female Common Scoters from the dam ; 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and the Caspian Gull still.
Nightingale still Great Stukeley this evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back