• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 UK Orchids (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the help regarding where to see some orchids in Norfolk Peter. That PDF is very useful. Buxton Heath isn't far from me, I will have to make a trip there (my only previous visit was for Nightjars).

Dunham Massey

I wonder how many of the thousands of National Trust visitors noticed the pair of Bee Orchids growing in full view just by the visitor centre?

Attachments

• dunham.jpg
    dunham.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 13
  • dunham2.jpg
    dunham2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 24
Ainsdale Dunes

This week seems to have been the perfect time to catch the pink/red flowering form of the Early Marsh Orchid at Ainsdale. In other years I've been too quick off the mark and been left struggling to find a good number in flower.
Park on the beach (extortionate £5 carge) as far south as you can go, cros over the first line of dunes and follow the path marked by white topped posts. Southern Marsh, some Dacty hybrids, Marsh Helleborines, and some Dune Helleborines with spikes in bud too.

Attachments

• ains1.jpg
    ains1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ains2.jpg
    ains2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 8
  • ains3.jpg
    ains3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ains4.jpg
    ains4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ains5.jpg
    ains5.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 13
Minera Lead Mines

A new site for us (again!) - an extensive walk (of which we did a part this afternoon) from Minera Quarry to eventually King's Mill (Wrexham) is teeming with CSO's, BLH (probably) and many Twayblade (leaves - but no flowers on any of them!).
The Epipactis are yet to flower, so we are assuming that the majority of them are Broad Leaved (looking at the leaves) but there may be some Dunes in amongst them too? We intend to keep a careful watch in the next couple of weeks to see what happens. Some of the flower heads, at the moment pendulous, were very full.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    677 KB · Views: 13
A new site for us (again!) - an extensive walk (of which we did a part this afternoon) from Minera Quarry to eventually King's Mill (Wrexham) is teeming with CSO's, BLH (probably) and many Twayblade (leaves - but no flowers on any of them!).
The Epipactis are yet to flower, so we are assuming that the majority of them are Broad Leaved (looking at the leaves) but there may be some Dunes in amongst them too? We intend to keep a careful watch in the next couple of weeks to see what happens. Some of the flower heads, at the moment pendulous, were very full.

Martin and Elaine

Hi Martin

Was that along the old railway track to the lead mines initially?

Talacre

A visit to the dunes at Talacre (Point of Ayr) this week will not disappoint. Many, many Northern Marsh and Pyramidals. And some interesting hybrids, or are some of these the Welsh Marsh Orchid cambrensis? The Early Marsh are just that here; early flowering and gone over, unlike Ainsdale where they are at their peak. Paradox time.

Attachments

• talc1.jpg
    talc1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 17
  • talc2.jpg
    talc2.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 24
  • talc3.jpg
    talc3.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 14
  • talc4.jpg
    talc4.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'm planning to see Lindisfarne helleborine this year - does anyone have a National Trust ranger contact for there (I've got nothing back from the NT enquiries website)? Failing that, any updates on when the plants are flowering would be most welcome.
Also, I'm heading south soonish and want to connect with narrow-lipped helleborine at Warburg BBONT reserve. The ranger there is keeping me posted on the one surviving spike which has buds - again any update from that reserve or nearby would be brilliant.
Cheers
Graham

I'm planning to see Lindisfarne helleborine this year - does anyone have a National Trust ranger contact for there (I've got nothing back from the NT enquiries website)? Failing that, any updates on when the plants are flowering would be most welcome.
Also, I'm heading south soonish and want to connect with narrow-lipped helleborine at Warburg BBONT reserve. The ranger there is keeping me posted on the one surviving spike which has buds - again any update from that reserve or nearby would be brilliant.
Cheers
Graham

Can you keep us posted on the Lindisfarne Helles. I too am considereing a trip up there.
I could give you directions for a better chance with Narrow-lipped if you fancy Gloucs instead of the Chilterns.

Last edited:
Bee orchids at Ainsdale - a few early on the path from the visitor centre to the Natterjack pool (fenced); many more between the pool and the beach (found on line transects).

Bee orchids at Ainsdale - a few early on the path from the visitor centre to the Natterjack pool (fenced); many more between the pool and the beach (found on line transects).

Too entranced by the Marsh Orchids on the path, and we continued along the path for a mile or more, rather than heading for the beach. That's how those Bees evaded us!

One for the Orchids in unusual circumstances file.. Whilst on my Bat conservation trust survey last night, I found a Southern Marsh Orchid, after sunset! Needed the torch to get a shot with the phone.
This must be closest Orchid to my house, about ~750m, although the field runs much closer to home, so I may be able to improve on it slightly!
The field is neglected for many years, grass is almost head height throughout, I hadn't really considered the possibility of Orchids there.

Attachments

• IMG_20190704_215717-960x1280.jpg
    IMG_20190704_215717-960x1280.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 27
One for the Orchids in unusual circumstances file.. Whilst on my Bat conservation trust survey last night, I found a Southern Marsh Orchid, after sunset! Needed the torch to get a shot with the phone.
This must be closest Orchid to my house, about ~750m, although the field runs much closer to home, so I may be able to improve on it slightly!
The field is neglected for many years, grass is almost head height throughout, I hadn't really considered the possibility of Orchids there.

Always expect the unexpected, especially when it comes to orchids

Always expect the unexpected, especially when it comes to orchids

Yes, and when much of the excitement is visiting known sites, it is nice to get back to unexpected surprises.. My other recent surprise being when I visited relatives in Devon, who were looking after a Neighbour's property, complete with an SSSI meadow full of Marsh and Heath Spotted Orchids!

Can you keep us posted on the Lindisfarne Helles. I too am considereing a trip up there.
I could give you directions for a better chance with Narrow-lipped if you fancy Gloucs instead of the Chilterns.

Hello from a new member. I'd really like to see Narrow-lipped Helleborine; I've been following the updates from Warburg, and it's not looking good there. Would it be cheeky of me to ask if you could share the Gloucs details with me, please? I'm in Somerset, so it's only a skip and a hop away. Thanks.

I saw around 15 Lindisfarne Helleborines in a fairly quick visit yesterday - four or five of these were already flowering including a couple of fine looking plants.

I saw around 15 Lindisfarne Helleborines in a fairly quick visit yesterday - four or five of these were already flowering including a couple of fine looking plants.

Sadly I won't be able to visit as planned this year so pencilled in for 2020. I did catch them a few years ago but they were on the way out.

Sweeney Fen

A great place to visit, if somewhat damp underfoot. Parking by the entrance and lack of hillclimbs appeal to me. Its just a few miles from Oswestry.
The Marsh Fragrants and Marsh Helleborines are in flower and looking good, whilst there is an interesting population of Dactylorhizas. Worth a visit

Attachments

• sween1.jpg
    sween1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
  • sween2.jpg
    sween2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 12
  • sween4.jpg
    sween4.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 17
  • sween3.jpg
    sween3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21
Talacre Dunes

This dune system is in the north east corner of Wales, by Point of Ayr, with easy access on foot.
I was too late for the hundreds of Early Marsh Orchids, but numbers of Pyramidals and Northern Marsh made up for this. One day I will make up my mind on the parentage of the impressive Dacty hybrids there, for while you would think D. x venusta, there is a surprising sparcity of Common Spotted Orchids there.

Attachments

• talac1.jpg
    talac1.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 11
  • talac2.jpg
    talac2.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 19
  • talac3.jpg
    talac3.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 9
  • talac4.jpg
    talac4.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 16
  • talac5.jpg
    talac5.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back