• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is the fastest (1 Viewer)

Ian Smith

Hello
I believe that the Peregrine is the fastest in a dive. So which bird is the fastest in level flight? :t:
Ian S

Probably wrong, but would hazard a guess at one of the Swifts, perhaps Needletail?

Or, of course, whichever bird is just front of the Peregrine hurtling towards it! :)

Jos's answer sounds good, but I'm (sort of) with Steve on this one.

I understand ducks are pretty damn quick in level flight, and the humble Mallard can crack on at around 70mph.

"I believe that the Peregrine is the fastest in a dive. So which bird is the fastest in level flight?"

Ian, different sources state different things.

Source (1) Fastest level flight, Canvasback Duck/Teal.
Source (2) Spinetail Swift 106 mph 171 kmh. (No flight status given)
Merganser 100 mph 161 kmh. (No flight status given)
Canvasback Duck 72 mph 116 kmh (Level flight)
Teal 60 mph 96.5 kmh. (Level flight)
Source (3) The Red-breasted merganser, the Eider, the Canvasback and the Spur-winged Goose can all reach 62mph 100kmh in level flight.

But the Canvasback Duck seems to be mentioned in all.

Regards

Malky

White-throated Needletails are the only birds i ever had pass over me and had trouble getting onto cos they were THAT fast. Blink and you miss them!

cracking birds

Tim

Thanks all for your replies, so it looks like the ducks "The Daddy"
Or is it the one in front of the Peregrine!!
Regards Ian S

The merlin is the fastest bird in level flight reaching as speed og 100 MPH. My guess at the above listed redbreasted merganser is about 50 MPH or slightly faster than a Canada goose
Sam

Read an article that claimed the Eider duck was the fastest, have no way of proving it of but its interesting that a number of wildfowl are named.

Cuddy

Read that someone did research into the biometrics of flying animals and in level flight eiders had the highest "potential" speed. Never witnessed at this speed but i believe it is around 75 miles/h. Fastest recorded are various types of swifts at about 150mph with BBBIIIIGGGG wind assistance.

Hi Ian, it's belived the peregrine's larger brother, the Gyrfalcon, is very fast in level flight. Unlike the peregrine, it uses mostly straight flight hunting methods- the only raptor able to overtake a duck with complete ease. I don't know it's recorded speed (or, if it's the fastest), but i know if it's hungry it can catch any of the mentioned birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back