• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the time of Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

Obviously no Common Redstarts to be seen this morning, after I had said that they were certainly nesting nearby (although I did hear one or two later), but the first bird of the day was nice enough: a Hoopoe singing on a branch, and immediately afterwards a Cuckoo started calling too, very close but I didn't manage to lock my binoculars onto it. The background noises were the usual: Great Spotted Woodpecker, Serin, Great Tit, Firecrest, Chiffchaff, also Greenfinch, which I had not heard/seen for a while. Swifts above, Black Redstart on the roof across the street and, while I was cycling to the supermarket, a Green Woodpecker flew over, nice as I hadn't seen one for weeks now.

Hoopoe, Serin, Firecrest, Black Redstart, Green Woodpecker .... quality birds all that I would be quite happy to liven my morning (two of which I have never seen on my land) đź‘Ť

Been birding...... stay in the car, or just go where no one is....The only problem i have had is that the weather is crap!

Finished another great morning Birding at Cammo Estate at my local patch. The birds I saw today were
7 Woodpigeon
4 Magpie
1 Heron
1 Crow
1 Great Tit
3 Blue Tit
3 Robin
2 Blackbird

Last edited:
... Firecrest....

Plenty of those here! But still I can't match your species list...

Not very exciting today, more or less the usual species seen/heard between the kitchen window, the balcony at the front and a bike ride to the village pond: Serin, Swift, Common Redstart, Jay, Firecrest, Wood Pigeon, Great Tit, Black Redstart, Tree Sparrow, Moorhen, White Wagtail, House Martin, Goldfinch.

I can't remember If I heard the Great Spotted Woodpecker today, I think I did, but am not sure.

Finnish Linnut-magazine had an article that Firecrest might be the next nesting species in Finland. I think it was last summer when there was a mixed nesting with Goldcrest in Helsinki... or was it a year before... So we got something to looking for. :smoke:

I find these things about ranges of our common birds in neighborhood countries surprisingly interesting. Yes, I can open Collins and see the maps, but it's a lot of info at once. I think I will sit down at one point and just explore how the species mix changes across seemingly similar nature of central/eastern Europe...

Again, more of the same today: Swift, Robin, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Common Redstart, Black Redstart, Jay, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow. But this evening, while I was trying to locate the Great Spotted Woodpecker, which I could hear calling very close, a black blob appeared against the darkening sky, flying southwards in a straight line: a look through the binoculars revealed it to be an unidentifiable Falco species.... Peregrine.... Lanner... who knows, neither are unlikely here, but the former is more probable.

Apparently all the troubles with the car were caused by a clogged fuel filter, because after its exchange it works great ... or rather as mediocre as before :)

Today I went even a little further, to another place at the Bug river where I have never been. According to satellite images it could have much more water surface than it actually had today - this is a year of record drought. Still the landscape of oxbow lakes, grasslands and blooming solitary trees is spectacular. I added Black Tern, Wood Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover and Corncrake to the list. I am almost surprised how little is the variety of birds when I am actually counting them - the nature here is cool, but a bit monotonous as it doesn't really change for a hundred kilometers. Well, there is one large wooded area with some quite different birds, but it's on the exactly opposite side of the city.

Overnight accomodations are now allowed, so we may do a longer trip, but probably only next week to avoid weekends - I have to do a remote lecture on Monday anyway (I used to ignore lectures and go to nature instead a lot, but now I am the teacher :))

Nice. Marsh Terns are always cool. Did you actually see Corncrake? Must have been one of the most frustrating moments of our birding careers, standing probably a metre away from a Corncrake calling in very tall grass for half an hour without being able to detect the slightest movement - three years ago in the Outer Hebrides (North Uist).

Nice. Marsh Terns are always cool. Did you actually see Corncrake? Must have been one of the most frustrating moments of our birding careers, standing probably a metre away from a Corncrake calling in very tall grass for half an hour without being able to detect the slightest movement - three years ago in the Outer Hebrides (North Uist).

I have never seen one in my life, despite having spent probably hundreds of hours listening to them. We regularly count birds that were only heard.

Today I had actually mildly elevated hopes of seeing them because there are only very small patches of covered so far (the grass hasn't grown yet) and that's why I stayed late into evening, but no luck. The best moment was when a sudden CREX CREX scared away a pair if Pheasants :)

Today was a long day. I couldn't sleep, so I got up at 6.15 and the first bird out of the kitchen window was a Robin. Then I added Blackcap, Greenfinch, Nuthatch, Firecrest, Swift, Blackbird, Wood Pigeon, Black and Common Redstart.

We had an early lunch as I had to go and pick up my mother to drive her to a medical check-up. On the way out I didn't pay much attention, but I did see Swallows at the usual place just out of town, 3 Buzzards, and Bee-eaters in two places. Also House Martins, more Swallows, Cattle Egrets and White Wagtail.

The drive to the doctor's practice was uninspiring as it was along a major road through a very built-up area. But it was on the way back, after having dropped off my mum that things started picking up. A first stop to make a phone call just outside her town yielded Zitting Cisticola, Goldfinch and Serin. About 10 km. further I was stopped at a checkpoint but my papers were deemed in order and all went smoothly. Afterwards I picked up Nightingale, Cuckoo, and Cirl Bunting, while Zitting Cisticolas were everywhere. In the next valley I heard my first Skylark of the year and Corn Buntings replaced the Cisticolas. I also saw my first Turtle Dove of the season, and a Little Ringed Plover calling in flight, while crossing a bridge over a stream: my first lockdown wader species!

Closer to home Jackdaws, another pair of Turtle Doves and to finish in style a Short-toed Eagle!

Not enough, but not bad!

I have 68 on the list that includes all the trips to my mum's, 49 in town and 38 strictly from home (heard and seen, but only three species, Wryneck, Short-toed Treecreeper and Cuckoo that I didn't manage to see). Will post soon, I have to double-check a few things.

Finished my Saturday morning Birding at my local patch. Today’s sightings were
6 Woodpigeon
3 Jackdaw
2 Crow
3 Blackbird
2 Magpie
1 Moorhen
1 Heron

After all the excitement yesterday, today was very quiet, mostly because I wasn't paying much attention but also because the poacher at the back was busy with the grass trimmer in the patch of scrub just above the garage, where most of the bird action usually happens. Also the downstairs neighbour was spraying herbicide on random bits of greenery that had dared to sprout in the vicinity of his garage, so, in order to preserve my sanity, I decided to avoid the kitchen window altogether. Then in the late afternoon we had an online seminar on Bonelli's Eagle and Lanner conservation efforts in Sicily so no birding was done in the whole afternoon.

Species seen/heard: Chaffinch, Blackbird, Black Redstart (a pair engaged in courtship directly below our kitchen window), Chiffchaff, Tree Sparrow, Greenfinch, Great Tit, plus the usual Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Magpie and Hooded Crow. No Jays today, and no Great Spotted Woodpecker!

The Great Escape

We woke up to yet another sunny day 🌞 and the prospect of another Sunday at home. Although some restrictions have been eased, it seems that “recreational activities” are not permitted. You can exercise (run, cycle, walk briskly) and maybe also drive to your chosen place of exercise, but there is no consensus on this, especially since each region has issued different guidelines. For example, in some regions of the north-east you can drive to the mountains and go for a hike, but the policeman we questioned here a few days ago said that we couldn’t drive up the mountain or to our local patch on a hill 5 km away.

Anyway since travelling within the province and in some instances even within the region is now permitted (albeit only for specific reasons, like visiting family), G decided to risk a quick drive this morning - we agreed that it was better if he went by himself as he would be less conspicuous - so that he could see if there were checkpoints etc. Meanwhile at home, I sat brooding :-C at my post at the kitchen window, seeing Common Redstart, Serin, Magpie and Collared Dove, hearing Firecrest and thinking that most of the spring (and the migration) was gone and that we didn’t even know if we would be able to go on holiday somewhere birdy in the summer.

Anyway he came back with a few nice species (Roller, Marsh Harrier, Short-toed Eagle) and saying that he hadn’t seen any checkpoints and that he thought we could safely escape in the afternoon.

So we did! The feeling of being free at last was somehow dampened by the thought that we could be stopped and reprimanded (even if probably not fined), but it was a good feeling anyway.

First bird was a Chiffchaff singing as we drove out of town, then on the road that winds through our “most local” patch, was a Stonechat, two singing Woodlarks, the first of many Corn Buntings, Subalpine Warbler, three Yellow-legged Gulls and Jackdaw.

We then drove a few km along the main road to reach a track that is one of our favourite haunts of our wider patch, the Val d’Orcia. Here we had Goldfinch, more Corn Buntings, Italian Sparrows, and, yes! the first Roller of the season for me! On the same track we looked for Montys and Stone Curlews but had no luck, but we did get the first Woodchat Shrike of the year. Swallows all around.

We crossed the main road and drove onto a track on the other side, clocking a Buzzard, a flyover Green Woodpecker, Crested Lark, Melodious Warbler (another year first) and Nightingale. We retraced our steps and started back towards home, taking a detour on another track where the first bird was another Roller, but the second was a Golden Eagle! A 2cy we think (?), mobbed by a Hooded Crow then slowly soaring and disappearing northwards. Big grins all over. :king:

We began to climb towards home and saw another Green Woodpecker and almost ran over a Hoopoe. A little further along (this is the same road that we had driven down earlier) we stopped to watch a Buzzard and a Short-toed Eagle, hearing a Cuckoo in the distance.

Back home a handsome male Black Redstart was foraging on the ground in front of our garage, and a female Common Redstart in the bushes just above it, Great Spotted Woodpecker on one of the pine trees, Swifts calling above and Chaffinch and Great Tit singing in the background.

The total of the species I have seen since the beginning of lockdown is now a dignified 75, 49 in town and 40 from home! B :)

Attachments

• aquila-reale.jpg
    aquila-reale.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 42
  • biancone.jpg
    biancone.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back