• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switching from Panasonic to SONY (1 Viewer)

Paul Tavares

Like many of you I'm a little frustrated with the lack of a better lens to replace the Panasonic 100-300 and the Olympus 300 prime is not a zoom and therefore not for me. It also looks big.

I've decided to switch over to SONY which seems to have been the real innovator over the last year.

I've posted my reasons on a DP review thread if anyone is interested

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54813832

Paul
Photo life list adds http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/AU14/

Paul, I can only wish you luck in your going forward.

The zoom lens I have seen mentioned as a really good and sharp lens for Sony is one that reaches 400mm (and not knowing sony, I don't know which mount), not the 70-300mm. That would be my main concern with your proposed track.

Niels

The problem with the Sony at the moment is the lack of a 300 or 400 mm telezoom on the E mount and I don't want to use adapters. I would take even a lousy lens at this point. Sigma and Tamron have a couple of relatively inexpensive options which could do as a stop gap but they are not available on an E mount (yet?) I'm not switching until a lens becomes available. Until then I'll carry on with the 100-300 and the GH3.

I have a trip to Belize in March and was hoping for a new kit by then. I don't think the gear will be available before the trip. But there is still 2 1/2 months to mid February. In any case, the Sony telezoom lens will appear before any new telezoom lens from Panasonic or Olympus materializes.

Thanks for your well wishes.
Paul

Last edited:
The problem with the Sony at the moment is the lack of a 300 or 400 mm telezoom on the E mount and I don't want to use adapters. I would take even a lousy lens at this point. Sigma and Tamron have a couple of relatively inexpensive options which could do as a stop gap but they are not available on an E mount (yet?) I'm not switching until a lens becomes available. Until then I'll carry on with the 100-300 and the GH3.

I have a trip to Belize in March and was hoping for a new kit by then. I don't think the gear will be available before the trip. But there is still 2 1/2 months to mid February. In any case, the Sony telezoom lens will appear before any new telezoom lens from Panasonic or Olympus materializes.

Thanks for your well wishes.
Paul

Bridge camera...16x Optical (400m) equivalent, from hitting start button to capturing image..3.8 secs. at 10metres....and oh so light around the neck!

Attachments

• A three quarter Tawny Owl.jpg
    A three quarter Tawny Owl.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 254
Bridge camera...16x Optical (400m) equivalent, from hitting start button to capturing image..3.8 secs. at 10metres....and oh so light around the neck!

Great shot. I presume Panasonic FZ1000?

Why would anyone want to switch, and get into the hassle with what's available on lenses? o:D

Last edited:
Great shot. I presume Panasonic FZ1000?

Why would anyone want to switch, and get into the hassle with what's available on lenses? o:D

I agree entirely and affirmative to your question.

I think I was lucky on two counts, firstly the bird ''dropping in'' with me having camera at hand, plus my preferred lighting...overcast and neutral, perhaps giving a more contrasting shot?

Cheers

Hi Ken,

That's a great shot and although the bird "dropped in" you still have to take the picture, so kudos to you. I can remember the freedom provided by my old FZ30 and of course the quality and performance of bridge cameras has improved many fold since those days.

I'm a lot like you and Swissboy and don't like changing lens if I can help it. I have only three lenses and when I travel I leave the macro at home. On the road, I only use the 12-35 Pro (305g), the 100-300 (520g) and the GH3 (550g). The total weight of the 100-300 mounted on the GH3 is a very manageable 1070g. This would be even lighter if mounted on one of the smaller Panasonic bodies like the G6 or the GM5. Not far off the weight of the FZ1000 (831g). But certainly much lighter and compact than what some photographers carry around. On my local walkabouts I only carry the GH3 and the 100-300

When I had the FZ30, I often thought to myself, wouldn't it be nice to just upgrade the sensor and save the lens. That's impossible because of the supporting electronics that go with the sensor but the next best scenario is replacing the camera and only change lenses very infrequently. That's where I'm headed now. The quality of cameras has improved so much over the last couple of years that cycle times of meaningful improvements are lengthening. Much like computers need to be replaced less often now compared to years ago. The cycle time for cameras is also longer since they are not impacted by the types of needs that still drive computer replacements i.e. connectivity, memory, multitude of applications etc. For cameras it comes down to the sensor and base features. In conjunction with this, prices of cameras have dropped (or rather higher quality cameras are available at lower prices).

This confluence of events makes owning 2 bodies each with a dedicated lens very feasible and relatively affordable although not for everyone. Once the initial investment is made, I will probably only need to upgrade one body every 2 or 3 years. I'll be using a rangefinder form factor for weight and space savings. The only need for a hump on a mirrorless camera is to place the manufacturer's logo. I would have bought one of the Pansonic's for this but they seemed reluctant to provide a rangefinder with a viewfinder and a view finder is essential for tele shots.

Anyway a longer post than I had intended but I wanted to agree with you that fussing with lenses is a pain and so is heavy and bulky gear. The good news is that I will have a new kit for Belize and it will give me the freedom I enjoyed with my first two cameras, the FZ1 and FZ30, both bridge cameras.

Paul
photo life list, now at 722 birds, http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/MyBirds/

Paul Hi,

Best of luck with your new kit in Belize, should be rich in subject matter, looking forward to seeing your shots.

Cheers

Ken

Switching brands is always fun but always leaves you wanting. I have all of them and there is not one "system"that will make you truly happy when birds are involved, especially if you include video.
For records shots, good video and lightweight the Canon SX50/60 do an excellent job from wide to long. More reach in fact than most people will need. They are the sort of cameras that you will always have with you so you won't miss much.
For best quality and fast Auto Focus for bird action/flight shots you have to get a DSLR + at least 300/4 + 1.4x. I always travel with at least this if I want decent bird photos.
Moving from Panasonic to Sony is not going to improve you bird photos much, if at all , as often you can't get close enough and the light is not good.
I don't like to miss any action so I have to travel with at least 3 cameras. DSLR for action, and two shooting video and stills - but I'm in a hide 90% of the time.
Walking around I like Canon's superzooms and the SX60 is my go too now. I would keep the GH3 for the video.
Neil.
ps you could always get the 41 meg Nokia phone and hook it up to your bins. Lots of cropping room there.

Neil,
as you are someone who likes to try it all: have you compared the FZ1000 with your canon superzooms? I realize that you would have to use less than the full sensor to get equivalent reach, but results here are intriguing.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back