• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippine Falconet eats a huge cicada (HD video) (1 Viewer)

Romy Ocon

Dear all,

Here's sharing a 3-minute footage of a Microhierax erythrogenys eating a huge cicada high up in the canopy. It looks to me like the cicada was still buzzing as it was being eaten piece by piece, until it was silenced with a critical bite from the bird.

Philippine Falconet (Microhierax erythrogenys), Mt. Makiling, Philippines, June 10, 2009, Canon 5D2 (FW 1.1.0) + Sigmonster (Sigma 300-800 DG) + Canon 2x TC + Sennheiser MKE 400 mic, 1600 mm, Manfrotto 475B/3421 support, manual exposure in available light, f/18, 1/60-1/100 sec, ISO 200, 1920x1080 capture processed and resized to 1280x720, noise/hiss in audio cleaned up a bit.

http://exposureroom.com/romyocon_pfalconet

Regards,

Romy

Romy,

Once again I must congratulate you on posting some incredible footage of this little gem. The backing music and captions added greatly to my enjoyment. Many thanks for sharing.

Incredible footage, well done.

I managed to video a Tiny Hawk from Canopy tower in Panama which was an amazing experience for me.

I tried to post a comment on your site, do I need to register to post?

Incredible footage, well done.

I managed to video a Tiny Hawk from Canopy tower in Panama which was an amazing experience for me.

I tried to post a comment on your site, do I need to register to post?

Thanks, Dave..... this was an exciting experience for me too, as I watched via the camera's LCD the giant cicada's buzzing sputter to a halt with each bite of the raptor.

I understand only registered members can post comments at Exposure Room.

Romy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back