• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400 f5.6 or 100-400 zoom with 7D (1 Viewer)

nige53

Hi,I'm having to sell my much loved Canon 300 f2.8. I need some advice on a replacement which has to be a lot lighter. I was thinking of either the 400 f5.6 or 100-400 zoom for my 7D

You can't go wrong with either of them, they are both great lenses and can deliver excellent results. The 100-400 has IS, better close focus and the range of focal lengths while the 400 f5.6 is faster focusing and slightly sharper when shooting wide open (though there is very little in it in real world situations). It's just a matter of working out which will suit your shooting style better.

Hi,I'm having to sell my much loved Canon 300 f2.8. I need some advice on a replacement which has to be a lot lighter. I was thinking of either the 400 f5.6 or 100-400 zoom for my 7D
Having shot the 300/2.8 for a couple of years and used a 400/5.6 off and on for over 6 years I do not think you would be disappointed with the 400/5.6 from an IQ viewpoint, I rate the 400/5.6 (wide open) about equal to the 300/2.8 + 1.4x tc and it is just as quick to focus. Some folks just cannot handle non IS lenses these days but it never bothered me, it just a case of working with what you have got. I have very limited experience with the 100-400 so cannot compare.
BTW the very latest (first) shot of a Snow bunting shown in My Photostream link shown below was shot hand held with the 400/5.6 just to give you an idea.

Last edited:
I have the 7D and both these lenses. They both have their strengths. For general bird photos, both static and in flight, I prefer the 400mm f5,6 as apart from being slightly lighter than the 100-400mm the body is noticeably narrower and fits nicely in the hand. Plus I think the autofocus is slightly faster. Some say the 100-400 is slightly short, more like 380mm. I've never compared them that specifically though I do find the 400mm slightly longer.

The main boon of the 100-400mm for me is the closer focus and IS. I use to use mine quiet a lot, but nowadays tend to just grab the 400mm f5,6. I just slip an extension tube in my pocket if I want to take close ups.

Thanks Guys for all your words of wisdom. Saying goodbye to the 300 f2.8 will be hard but I just cant carry it any more...So i'm going to go with the 400 f5.6.
Oh great shot of the Snow Bunting Roy

Many thanks once again

just grab the 400mm f5,6. I just slip an extension tube in my pocket if I want to take close ups.

Not sure why people do not use this as a response to the 'shorter focus of the 100-400 or the 300 lens. the only negative is changing the lens in the field....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back