• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Wheatear Patara (1 Viewer)

Has anyone else seen a Black Wheatear in Turkey before as I had a nailed on identification until I saw Distribution Maps? Most say Spain and north-west Africa but I have seen one (xeno canto) which says they are present in Greece.
Of course, I didn't have my camera with me as it was an impromptu visit but will return in the next couple of days to look again, with my camera.

Assuming a melanistic bird of some sort can be ruled out then whatever the bird was it would be a vagrant to the area. The 'Birds of Greece' (1997) says that there is a record on a pair of Black Wheatears from Milos (1989), one from Crete (1958) and another from Spili (1964) but adds that the records are more likely to refer to White-crowned Black Wheatear. This species as once been reported from Crete (although there may have been more records since the book was published). White-crowned Black is found rather closer to Turkey than Black and has, I think, a better track record for vagrancy. The only other confusion species in the wider region would seem to be Basalt Wheatear which has a restricted range and would be unlikely in the extreme.

My first thought was melanism but the tail, rump and hind belly were pristine white, which ruled that out in my mind. I did also think Basalt but ruled that out due to the range as you mentioned. Having looked at White-crowned Wheatear again, it is possible that it was a juvenile. I'm hoping it is there tomorrow morning again but not sure how I would differentiate the options in the field. I'll do some more research this evening I guess...

Yes I guess juv WCW would be the most likely option - check the tail pattern if you see it again. I think there's been 1 recent record of Basalt Wheatear IIRC. Black Wheatear is way out of range for a fairly sedentary species. I seem to recall that a lot of extra-limital records of BW from the Levant/NE Africa etc were scrapped a few years ago. Hope you see it again - whereabouts was it?

It was at Patara ruins, I revisited the site for a couple of hours this morning but no joy with relocation unfortunately. I've had contact with a couple of Turkish birdwatchers and they are convinced it would have been WCW as well, not Black Wheatear.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back