• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (9 Viewers)

well done sir! Well worth the wait. The composition is great, the bird on the left making one final sweep of the beach to check there are no bundles left to catch up.

Well worth the effort Arthur. I particularly like the way the eye travels around the loop of the composition, just like trying to keep that little lot in order!

Mike

Arthur, I've been thinking a lot about this flying thing and how to represent it. so FWIW here are some things I'm musing over for creating images.

•Certain wing positions give a "flight" message more than others
•Hard lines and edges stop motion, conversely softened edges will recede, and even more softened edges will let the viewer imagine it moving. Blurred edges in the right places will suggest motion.
•Using lighter values where the motion is suggested, and darker ones where the eye is to focus will give the feeling of movement and more weightless mass to the eye. For example in the drawing above where the wings are outstretched, if the tips are lighter in value than the head, and the line is slightly softened there at the tips, the wings will suggest movements that the eye perceives to be flightlike, as this is how it sees in real life...

I know this kind of comment is not usual here, so if I'm out of line, let me know and I'll shut up. :eek!: I come from a little different place, as my orientation is from a complex art background and art history study and only recently to birds. If you want to show the correct delineation and illustration of the bird itself, then my comments are not very useful for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back