• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (1 Viewer)

62 moths of 35 species so far (but got about 15 micros still to have a go at in the fridge; they may be mostly one species I suspect) from last night.
Rustic and Pandemis cerasana new for garden. Pale and Coxcomb Prominents the only better moths.
Tonight might be the last night for a bit looking at night time temperatures from Wed onwards.

About low counts - I still get a high proportion of my moths from walls and vegetation in the surrounding area. I check every 20 to 30 minutes outside. I've taken to splitting my sleep up so I can stay up later but still go to work. I do 2 hours kip early evening and then stay up till 02:30 to get up at 06:30 (though I'm not suggesting this is practical for others; just my choice).

Last edited:
Thanks Andy and John. Its not near any light sources and I tend to try and position it so thats it's widely visible however the volume of egg boxes was actually something I also considered....tonight I shall try a better layout to provide less assistance to the little blighters escaping!

21 macros of 17 species this morning. New species beginning to slow down, with just Grass Rivulet & Alder Kitten garden ticks. No one species dominated the numbers, just Common Marbled & Garden Carpets, Marbled Minor agg & Heart & Dart chipping in with twos. Udea olivalis a new micro (one of the very few big enough to get any attention).

Freyer's Pug
Udea olivalis
Clouded-bordered Brindle
Grass Rivulet
Alder Kitten

Attachments

• IMG_5886.JPG
    IMG_5886.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6014.JPG
    IMG_6014.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6181.JPG
    IMG_6181.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6190.JPG
    IMG_6190.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 19
42 Moths of 10 species today, 27 of them Heart and Darts. Treble Lines second with 4, 2 Peppered Moths looking big but moth of the day was NFY Treble Brown Spot. I should get one more night out of it before the weather breaks. Wet day tomorrow.

John

I got away with another dry night, though I could feel rain in the air this morning, and was rewarded with: another 27 Heart and Darts! 36 individual moths of 10 species and really nothing out of the ordinary. Two May Bugs.

With heavy rain forecast I've taken the trap in but hoping to put it out again tonight.

John

18 moths of 10 species, but only trapped till 00:40 as there was very little movement. 19th Small Elephant of the year. 7 H&Ds. Thought it might have been better as it was warm.
Probably won't be trapping for several days now, assuming the forecasts are correct.

18 moths of 10 species, but only trapped till 00:40 as there was very little movement. 19th Small Elephant of the year. 7 H&Ds. Thought it might have been better as it was warm.
Probably won't be trapping for several days now, assuming the forecasts are correct.

Very envious, never recorded that here.

Better here last night, overcast and less wind but still not big numbers.

My 5th record of Clouded Brindle, second record of Beautiful Hooktip, Short-cloaked Moth was new for the year as was Turnip Moth.

Just got my trap sorted out before the rain started this morning. 18 species ID so far inc five NFY:
Hedya nubiferana
Chrysoteuchia culmella
Riband Wave
Green Carpet
Dark Arches
Plus one that has me stumped and is causing disagreement amongst the experts - a very dark and rather plain brocade/brindle type. Photo on Twitter if anyone wants a go at it @Lufbrabirder.

Steve

These should be obvious but have been through book several times and not finding them.

1. Footman sp
2. ?
3. ?

Attachments

• 20200602_064953 (2).jpg
    20200602_064953 (2).jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200602_065151 (2).jpg
    20200602_065151 (2).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200603_065736 (2).jpg
    20200603_065736 (2).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 22
The other two look like Buff Footman & Large Yellow Underwing, but both would be rather early I think? I'm still on quite a steep learning curve myself, so would be very interested to see what other responses you get.

Thanks all for the Iron Prominent - looks good.....I must learn to take side photos too knowing the book only has some species from that angle! Will be interested in responses on the other 2 also but they do look like Buff Footman and LYU. Thanks

Orange Footman for 1 I think.
Large Yellow Underwing looks good for other.

I've had both this year so not to early

Orange Footman and Large Yellow Underwing, Farnborough recently. If you trap through the summer you will be heartily sick of the latter in a few weeks.

John

Attachments

• 20200520 (1)_Orange_Footman.JPG
    20200520 (1)_Orange_Footman.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200602 (1)_Large_Yellow_Underwing.JPG
    20200602 (1)_Large_Yellow_Underwing.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 19
Trapped last night, signs of a shower on the cover but that's all. Pretty cool this morning and only three species in the trap: 14 Heart and Darts way above the singles of Peppered Moth (palish one) and NFY Heart and Club.

John

I trapped last night too, it stayed dry but was cool and quite windy by the morning. I only got four moths, my lowest catch this year. One each of Treble Lines, Common Swift, Heart and Dart and Brown Rustic.

Lewis

Trapped again last night despite a bit of light rain forecast. Trap wet this morning but moths in it:

18 Heart and Dart
2 Heart and Club
1 Setaceous Hebrew Character
1 I haven't fully identified, thinking maybe Campion at the minute. Possibly in ID forum later. Edit: Lychnis, now I've read the text and looked again. Photo later.
1 Pine Hawk-moth currently in the fridge for when Maz wakes up, NFY, possibly NFG, moth of the day!

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Trapped again last night despite a bit of light rain forecast. Trap wet this morning but moths in it:

18 Heart and Dart
2 Heart and Club
1 Setaceous Hebrew Character
1 I haven't fully identified, thinking maybe Campion at the minute. Possibly in ID forum later. Edit: Lychnis, now I've read the text and looked again. Photo later.
1 Pine Hawk-moth currently in the fridge for when Maz wakes up, NFY, possibly NFG, moth of the day!

Cheers

John

Pics of Heart & Club, John? I've only ever seen one and needed expert help for that.

My moth year-list moved up to five :)smoke:) last week with a couple of day-flying British ticks. Mother Shipton I'd seen once in Estonia two years back, but my first UK livened up a dull day at the coast on Tuesday. Another day absent avian migrants produced my first ever, soon to become common apparently, Chimney Sweeper moth. Right next to it, for some strange reason, was a Common Swift (moth) sitting on a discarded sweetie wrapper.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back