• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dusky Brocade (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Anyone confirm this for me.

It's a moth that I constantly struggle to ID despite it being common.

Attachments

• P6110492.jpg
    P6110492.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 47
You’ll certainly need more expert opinion Andy, but fwiw my money is on Dark Arches on this one, having read the “tea leaves”. :eek!:

I've had problems in the past and I gave it twenty minutes on Google Images today to try and find out once and for all what the differences are. I gave up. I find them impossible. I'm not sure Rosaria was saying you definitely have a Dark Arches there, Andy? It looks more of an open question to me? (But if memory serves, I "think" she might not be a chap, so you could be in hot water there?;))

I'd say one of the differences is that the 'W' on the Dark Arches starts and ends with a sharp point whereas the Dusky Brocade has a straighter lead in and ending. Also the 'saddle area' is less well defined on the Dark Arches.

For me, the 4th image on the Nature Spot link, 19 July 2006, could well be a Dark Arches and not a Dusky Brocade.
(and no offence taken!)

I'd say one of the differences is that the 'W' on the Dark Arches starts and ends with a sharp point whereas the Dusky Brocade has a straighter lead in and ending. Also the 'saddle area' is less well defined on the Dark Arches.

For me, the 4th image on the Nature Spot link, 19 July 2006, could well be a Dark Arches and not a Dusky Brocade.
(and no offence taken!)

Thanks Rosaria, and you know, none was meant!

From the text in Waring, the dark lines either side of the thorax which form a V, are diagnostic and clearly eveident on mine, why didn't I already know that!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back