• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Gronk08

Hi

Just wondered if anyone one else is seeing more Spotted Flycatcher this year?
I am not sure if it's a case of the places I have managed to actually visit during the current restrictions are just more Spotted Flycatcher "friendly" or that this year there are just more around? Basically I have been restricted to birding in North Staffordshire/Stoke-on-Trent area rather than going further afield.

Tim

Hi

I am not sure if it's a case of the places I have managed to actually visit during the current restrictions are just more Spotted Flycatcher "friendly" or that this year there are just more around? Basically I have been restricted to birding in North Staffordshire/Stoke-on-Trent area rather than going further afield.

Tim

I’ve seen none despite looking when out, but then the SEast is currently not a good place for them unlike yesteryear. :-C

Hi

I am not sure if it's a case of the places I have managed to actually visit during the current restrictions are just more Spotted Flycatcher "friendly" or that this year there are just more around? Basically I have been restricted to birding in North Staffordshire/Stoke-on-Trent area rather than going further afield. Tim

None of the expected locations within 8 km of my house are occupied, it seems, this year. Maybe they've just moved away a little bit?
MJB

Certainly none here- bit like Ken but other side of the metropolis. I more usually connect with them August-September here.

A local birdwatcher reported 9 inseveral separate territories yesterday.
I always check up a nearby location where a pair return year after year. They're back again for another season.
All the above are in upland areas.
Before moving, I spent years counting them on a nearby limestone escarpment which also houses a large woodland, as they returned south.
They were as regular as clockwork over the years often stopping off in exactly the same locations.
Most years I'd count between 40 and 45 in late August to September. The record for one day was a remarkable 13.

Last edited:
They were as regular as clockwork over the years often stopping off in exactly the same locations.
Most years I'd count between 40 and 45 in late August to September. The record for one day was a remarkable 13.

During the early ‘70’s I can recall circa 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London, Epping Forest on a single day Aug/Sep....last year I didn’t see one!

Oddly enough though I imaged a single bird in my neighbours garden along with a Pied Fly! needless to say a rare event!

Cheers

During the early ‘70’s I can recall circa 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London, Epping Forest on a single day Aug/Sep....last year I didn’t see one!

Oddly enough though I imaged a single bird in my neighbours garden along with a Pied Fly! needless to say a rare event!

Cheers

Either it's time I stopped putting off getting some spectacles or my computer screen needs a good clean. My first glance at your post read: "During the early '70s I can recall orca 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London." :eek!:

Either it's time I stopped putting off getting some spectacles or my computer screen needs a good clean. My first glance at your post read: "During the early '70s I can recall orca 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London." :eek!:

They had some very high tides in the ‘70s don’t forget;)

I’d get those new specs ASAP Graham! lest you start “stringing”. ;)

They had some very high tides in the ‘70s don’t forget;)

Quite right Richard!...almost adjacent too (orca a mile) is a local beauty spot called...High Beech! ;)

I have seen many Spotted Flycatchers this spring, more than other years, but I'm not sure if that is because there are many now of because I have been staying close to home this year because of lockdown.

Thanks for all of the replies I was just trying to get an understanding of the situation, it does possibly appear to be a lock down issue and just that I am squeezing every last drop out of the different local areas this year. I have visited some locations that I may have visited 3 - 4 times in a year at least 10 times so increasing my chances of seeing most species a location may offer.

Cheers

Tim.

None for me this year yet (no access to breeding areas with virus travel restrictions), but expect them on my local patch on post-breeding dispersal from about mid August on :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back