• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (2 Viewers)

And some more:

Bird's Wing
Dwarf Cream Wave
True Lover's Knot
Broad-barred White
Varied Coronet

Attachments

• 20200611 (4)_Birds_Wing.JPG
    20200611 (4)_Birds_Wing.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200613 (3)_Dwarf_Cream_Wave.JPG
    20200613 (3)_Dwarf_Cream_Wave.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200613 (5)_True_Lovers_Knot.JPG
    20200613 (5)_True_Lovers_Knot.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200614 (3)_Broad-barred_White.JPG
    20200614 (3)_Broad-barred_White.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200611 (5)_Varied_Coronet.JPG
    20200611 (5)_Varied_Coronet.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
And a few more:

Clouded Buff X 2
Tawny-barred Angle
Great Oak Beauty

Attachments

• 20200614 (7)_Clouded_Buff.JPG
    20200614 (7)_Clouded_Buff.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200614 (8)_Clouded_Buff.JPG
    20200614 (8)_Clouded_Buff.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200614 (10)_Tawny-barred_Angle.JPG
    20200614 (10)_Tawny-barred_Angle.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200614 (11)_Great_Oak_Beauty.JPG
    20200614 (11)_Great_Oak_Beauty.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 19
Found a Yellow Shell flitting around in a hedgerow as I hustled to get home ahead of a thunderstorm this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_8165.JPG
    IMG_8165.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 22
Thank you both, on re-reading it appears the white cross band if complete confirms Varied: without you I wouldn't have looked. Another schoolday….

Captions now corrected.

Just put the trap out again after a line of thunderstorms encouraged me to bring the electrics indoors.

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Moderately good night 91 moths of 35 species, so not overwhelmed. The desired Poplar Hawk turned up at last, along with an Elephant and the 30th Small Elephant of the year. Took a while to realise I couldn't make the Mottled Beauty out because it was a Fern. Timothy Tortrix, Brown Plume and the rather lovely coloured Celypha rosaceana made 5 garden ticks. Nice but not new were Beautiful Hook-tip & Peppered Moth. The Veneer Chrysoteuchia culmella won with 34.

Decent overnight catch of 43 moths of 19 species. (I've had several catches of 19 species. 20 seems to be a bit of a barrier!)

Top moth of the night was a Maple Prominent which was a tick. Buff Ermine and Single Dotted Wave were both NFY, best other than those were a Light Emerald (no red lights at wingtips, presumably worn off, but still unmistakable) and three Dwarf Cream Waves. Heart and Darts had another win with 20.

One May Bug.

Belated amendment: I just threw a Box Tree Moth out of the door from the kitchen and in doing so found a Least Carpet on the outside wall, bringing today's total to 21 species. Jinx broken!

John

Just gone through some left over micros from last night.
Bird-cherry Ermine, Codling Moth, Recurvaria leucatella all new for garden.
Metalampra italic as well, a moth I found in my hall in 2014 (when it was considered scarce) six years before I got a trap. A rather attractive little golden moth.

Found an Old Lady in the corner of the bedroom in the flat we were renting back in August 2015. Bit of a surprise - presumably had wandered in during the night for some reason or another.

Found an Old Lady in the corner of the bedroom in the flat we were renting back in August 2015. Bit of a surprise - presumably had wandered in during the night for some reason or another.

Dan, I'm sure someone like you can imagine that my mind is twitching with all sorts of possibilities with a sentence(s) like this...but I'll let it go. ;) Haven't moths got some wonderful names, though. With all that's going on in the round and round discussions about proposed changes to bird names, maybe it's time I just gave up on being a member of any sort of birding community and just stick with insects and plants for the remainder of my mortal existence? :smoke:

Dan, I'm sure someone like you can imagine that my mind is twitching with all sorts of possibilities with a sentence(s) like this...but I'll let it go. ;) Haven't moths got some wonderful names, though. With all that's going on in the round and round discussions about proposed changes to bird names, maybe it's time I just gave up on being a member of any sort of birding community and just stick with insects and plants for the remainder of my mortal existence? :smoke:

;) I very nearly started posting on that thread in a response with some moth names ... The Uncertain for starters.

I'm hoping no controversy, but yes, just love those names the olde Victorians gave them ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back